Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director for Human Development Directorate, ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department, the Assistant Director shall:
Manage the operational activities of the Division
- Manage, plan and approve tasks and activities of staff.
- Provide guidance/direction for staff to ensure their quality of work and professionaldevelopment.
- Foster teamwork and collaboration within the Division.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals for staff, map training and professional development activities for individual staff.
- Manage effectively all resources of the Division, including financial, physical and human resources.
- Participate in and contribute to Divisional or Directorate meetings.
- Coordinate with and provide inputs to other Divisions to facilitate cross-sectoral information sharing and collaboration.
- Prepare information and materials for public dissemination through the ASEAN website and publications in consultation with the Community Relations Division.
Provide policy, technical advice and recommendations
- Provide policy and technical advice and recommendations on the above matters, including providing input into the drafting of sectoral workplans (and similar documents) as well as any agreements (in liaison with Legal Services and Agreements Division);
- Support implementation and monitor progress of implementation of sectoral workplans, agreements, and the ASCC Blueprint, and provide reporting inputs to the Programme Cooperation & Project Management Division where necessary.
Coordinate the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes and/or projects in support of the ASCC, particularly in rural development, poverty reduction, social welfare, gender, and rights of women and children
- Initiate programmes and/or projects, as necessary, and manage project approvals and project implementation, including acitivites aimed at rural development, poverty reduction, labour cooperation, women and migrant workers’ affairs.
- Coordinate with international organisations and donors for resource mobilisation and implementation of programmes and/or projects (for example contribute to the development of a project concept paper, support the lead countries on project implementation, act as a technical resource person for workshops, forums, and project activities).
Provide substantive and secretariat support to the relevant bodies of the ASEAN SocioCultural
- Ensure that ASEAN bodies are provided with appropriate substantive and administrative support as required including preparation of their regular meetings i.e. agenda, information papers, concept papers, and meeting reports.
- Coordinate follow-up actions to decisions and agreements made by the ASEAN sectoral bodies.
- Serve as the focal point and effectively engage with ASEAN Member States, Dialogue Partners and other stakeholders, drawing on input from other Divisions as necessary.
- Represent the ASEAN Secretariat at ASEAN and International forums and serve as a resource person (e.g. speaker, facilitator/moderator) as required.
- Support the attendance of ASEAN Secretary-General and Deputy Secretary-General at meetings/events through preparation of talking points and speeches.
Qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate degree in Social Sciences, Economics, or relevant discipline with minimum eight (8) years at management position and having relevant experience.
- A sound understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of, and commitment to ASEAN ideals.
- Proven experience in analysis, public policy development and negotiation, and in working closely with government officials.
- Familiarity with the working of international organizations and diplomatic procedures and protocols.
- Sound financial and human resource management skills.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills, ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with public and private sector organisations, stakeholders and partners, and work effectively with people at all levels of the organisations
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff, foster the career development goals of staff, identify training/professional/technical development needs of staff and/or to conduct both formal and on the job training.
- Proven ability for accuracy under stress condition and adherence to deadlines.
- English proficiency and computer literacy are pre-requisites for this position
- Experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings is an advantage.
- Willing to travel.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*