War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto.
War Child Canada works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. War Child Canada takes an active role in raising public awareness around the impact of war on communities and the shared responsibility to act.
When war itself ends, the consequences endure. A lack of employment opportunities, the absence of effective economic or social structures, an under-educated population and a culture of impunity around rights violations combine to create conditions that make a return to conflict all too possible. But by making a long-term investment to create an environment in which childhood can thrive, the cycle of violence can be broken.
War Child Canada currently works in Afghanistan, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Jordan, Uganda and Iraq. In Uganda, War Child Canada is operational in West Nile region, and Insingiro, and Kamwange districts.
Position summary To ensure effective management of programs and to support scale-up, the Head of Programs provides oversight and leadership in the design, development and implementation of War Child Canada programs in Uganda. In collaboration with the Country Director, the position will actively contribute to the Country Strategic Plan and development of the country’s programming with an emphasis on overall quality programming and increased program funding.
PROGRAM STRATEGY, DIRECTION AND IMPLEMENTATION (40%)
- Together with the Country Director and Senior Management Team, provide leadership, oversight and guidance on program strategy, direction and implementation.
- Support the development and utilization of appropriate M&E, centralized data collection systems, program management system and operational tools.
- With the support of the Country Director, develop and implement internal mechanisms for institutional learning, quality control mechanisms, and programmatic integration.
- Ensure programming meets Minimum Standards, in alignment with externally recognized best practices.
- Provide oversight in the management and development of key in-country donor relationships and overall donor development strategies.
- Provide support, mentoring and training to staff as required.
- Maintain a continual review of program performance to ensure that objectives are met according to program plans, log frames and agreements, chair regular program review meetings of both technical and strategic forums internally.
- Provide oversight of program budgets, forecasts and expenditures, ensuring grants are closely monitored and budget holders are held accountable, in collaboration with the Finance Department.
- Provide technical assistance to programs, as required, sourcing additional support as required in accordance with program needs.
PROGRAM DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT (35%)
- Provide leadership in the rollout and use of War Child Canada’s Program Framework.
- Strengthen organizational capacity to effectively design and implement programs through strategic and operational planning processes.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of the Country Strategic Plan.
- Ensure program compliance with donor management and reporting standards including oversight of program narrative reporting.
- Identify and establish long term strategies with key program partner organizations.
- Train and build the capacity of local partner organizations on program design, development and implementation, as needed
- Provide oversight in the development of new programs, inclusive of emergency and development programming, with field and head-office staff.
- In liaison with the Country Director, facilitate opportunities for learning and knowledge sharing across the organization and between War Child Canada country staff leads.
- Conduct new assessment visits to new areas, in-country, as required
- Effective supervision, motivation, performance management and direct line management of Project Managers and any other relevant programming staff.
INSTITUTIONAL FUND DEVELOPMENT (25%)
- Develop and support institutional fundraising strategies in accordance with War Child Canada’s program framework.
- Collaborate with the Country Director to establish long term growth strategy for each of current and new restricted, in-country donors.
- Identify and establish long term strategies with funding donor agencies including UN agencies, etc.
- Actively develop and maintain positive relationships with INGOs and local partners in Uganda.
- Represent War Child Canada in Cluster Meetings, Program Coordination, UN/NGO meetings, and various Kampala levels forums.
- Oversee the development of detailed funding proposals and budgets, liaising with in-country donors as required in co-ordination with the Senior Management Team.
Knowledge and Experience
- Post-graduate degree in International Development, International Relations, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development or equivalent demonstrable experience in relevant fields.
- Minimum five years senior management experience of complex development programs with program leadership responsibilities.
- Strong technical skills in livelihoods is desirable, or a specialization in at least one of War Child Canada’s programming areas
- A successful track record in initiating, cultivating and securing support from a range of institutional and government donor agencies.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation methodologies, tools and systems.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a complex and challenging environment;
- Ability to work well with diverse teams from all backgrounds and levels.
- Strong diplomacy skills; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with partners, donors and other stakeholders in a sensitive environment.
- Excellent English writing ability and verbal skills for project proposals, reports and communications.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to problem solve and work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness and ability to travel outside Kampala.
- Ability and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in a difficult and sometimes insecure working environment.
- Affinity with War Child Canada’s mandate.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Creative, energetic, adaptable and flexible.
- Stress-resilient to be able to cope with deadlines and complex problems.
Salary and benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include travel to and from duty sites, vacation, accommodation and insurance as per War Child Canada contractual standards.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER.
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Head of Programs – Uganda – [insert your name]’
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*