Director of Development (Washington DC)
ECI is seeking a Director of Development to work in our DC office and report to the ECI Managing Director (MD). This position will be a member of ECI’s senior leadership team and will contribute to fundraising, manage relationships with key partners and donors, manage operations including systems and priorities for the US-based team, and provide critical support to the MD in strategy, US-based advocacy and communications work, as well as the DRC-based programs.
The Director of Development will work closely with the Managing Director to meet performance objectives in fundraising and overall operations, and he/she will supervise a small team of US-based staff and consultants.
Major Responsibilities Include: 1) Fundraising and Relationships
- Play a lead role in setting organizational direction for fundraising in collaboration with the MD and other staff.
- Execute fundraising strategy and work to meet annual fundraising targets.
- Lead ECI decision-making and proposal development processes for potential new funding opportunities.
- Ensure strong relationships with donors and partners including major individual donors, governments, NGOs, corporate and foundational partners, among others.
- Manage preparation of private fundraising events, in coordination with the MD, other ECI staff, and consultants.
- Maintain database of partners and other key individual and institutional relationships.
- Ensure fundraising efforts are in line with organizational vision and mission as well as ECI policies, procedures, and operations.
- Oversee fundraising consultants.
2) US-based Operations
- Manage annual work plan as well as overall workflow and priorities for US office and US-based team in close consultation with the MD.
- Ensure quality systems and procedures are in place for maximizing work effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provide targeted support to US-based communications and public relations needs.
- Support MD in executing advocacy strategy and completing planned advocacy outputs.
- Integrate program learning and impacts into US-based advocacy work.
- Ensure communications, programs, and advocacy are linked to overall organizational strategy, mission, and vision.
3) Other Duties
- Manage special projects with/ for the MD.
- Provide additional support to the organization as needed.
- Clear demonstration of strong leadership and management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written English required, including strong writing and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage, be flexible, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong stakeholder engagement and relationship management skills.
- Working knowledge of French strongly preferred.
- Entrepreneurial team player who is both a strategic thinker and detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work and thrive while under pressure or in stressful circumstances with a positive approach and can-do attitude.
- Proven ability to be solution-focused and approach challenges or conflicts by thinking outside the box.
- Master’s Degree in business, international affairs, political science, non-profit management or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in progressive international business, non-profit or government.
- Experience in donor cultivation/fundraising and partnership building.
- Prior success securing funding from: major individual donors, bilateral, multilateral, foundation, and/or corporate funding sources.
- Experience managing staff and/or consultants.
- Experience managing complex projects and deadlines involving multiple stakeholders.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in DRC.
- Experience is preferred in one or more of ECI’s core programming sectors, including: agriculture/economic development, maternal and newborn child health, access to justice, and access to education and information.
- This position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Must be able and willing to travel up to 35% of the time. Travel can include international destinations in conflict-affected regions of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Please email your resume and letter of interest.
Write “ECI Director of Development” in the subject line.
Candidates under consideration will be contacted by ECI.
No phone calls please.
Application deadline: rolling until position is filled.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*