The International Funders for Indigenous Peoples (IFIP) is the only global donor affinity group dedicated to Indigenous Peoples worldwide. IFIP's mission fosters Indigenous solutions and partnerships among Indigenous Peoples and funders around the globe. The organization's strategic goal is to expand the sphere of funders and collaborative action among funders and Indigenous Peoples to support and advance issues of importance to Indigenous Peoples.
With over 15 years of experience, IFIP has been a key convener of donors and foundations to advance partnerships that can improve the lives of Indigenous Peoples globally and build communities of practice among donors. Today IFIP is composed of more than 50 members and affiliates who share a commitment to building funding support for Indigenous Peoples that responds to their needs and priorities. IFIP is differentiated from other funder affinity groups by the conscious inclusion of Indigenous Peoples' organizations along with funders. Building on this experience, the organization seeks to further expand its activities under its new Strategic Framework.
The IFIP Board of Directors now seeks a strategic and committed thought leader to assume the position of Executive Director beginning in early 2017. Understanding of, and respect for, Indigenous Peoples and local communities is essential for the position. Sophisticated executive capacities are vital to deepen engagement with Indigenous organizations, donors and multilateral organizations.
IFIP is a not-for-profit organization created in 1999 and currently based in San Francisco, California (USA). IFIP is led by its Executive Director and Board of Directors and is supported by a small team of staff and consultants.
The Executive Director will lead IFIP in all aspects of the organization's strategic direction and across all areas of the organization and will bring a track record of managing and leading core issue program areas and operations. She/He will be experienced working with collaborative initiatives and engaging diverse constituencies, and will be able to cultivate new and existing members, including individuals, foundations, and affiliate organizations.
Leadership and planning
- Serve as an ambassador for IFIP and represent the organization's mission, vision and values of respect, reciprocity, responsibility, and relationships. Developing strategic partnerships in order to fulfill IFIP's mission and strategic framework.
- Build and maintain effective systems to measure progress and regularly evaluate program components that will enhance the strategic and operational decision-making and provide the ability to measure successesin ways that can be effectively communicated to the board,members, donors, and other constituents.
- Implement IFIP's strategic framework and lead future planning and strategy processes.
- Engage with the Board of Directors, recruiting new capacity and perspectives as necessary.
Management and administration
- Improve overall systems and processes of the organization,including: financial management, human resources, record-keeping, technology, and other core organizational needs.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors to ensure effective board governance and oversight of the organization.
- Develop annual work-plans consistent with the strategic plan's goals and objectives.
- Lead, develop, and retain staff. Invest in the professional development of staff and expand the internal systems needed for growth.
Development and engagement
- Develop and implement a strategy for mobilizing resources to effectively sustainIFIP.
- Recruit and cultivate donors and members topartner with IFIP by developing programming,communications,and activities for member stewardship and engagement.
- Represent IFIP through thought leadership,writing, and public speaking to raise IFIP's profile in the global philanthropic community and among Indigenous Peoples' movements.
- Enhanceall aspects of IFIP's communicationsto support strategic goals and build a stronger presence for the organization.
Program development and implementation
- Develop and expand high quality programs that meet the strategic goals and objectives of IFIP– from facilitating working groups to convening international conferences and meetings, to producing publications and tools. These programs should be designed to inform and promote collaboration,while expanding and advancing Indigenous philanthropy.
- Ensure that IFIP plays a leadershiprole in advocating among funders and other actors for improving the philanthropic community's support of Indigenous Peoples.
- Oversee evaluationof programs to ensure that they advance IFIP's mission and strategic framework.
- Demonstrated experience working to advance Indigenous Peoples' rights and opportunitiesinternationally.
- A strong commitment to IFIP's mission,approach, and the values it seeks to embody(respect, reciprocity, responsibility, and relationships).
- Demonstrated strategic leadership in a philanthropic,Indigenous or non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funding from the philanthropic community.
- Significant knowledge of finance and budgeting, including anability to understand, project, and analyze financial models and strategic budgeting.
- Experience in managing a membership-based program or organization,including planning and managing conferences.
- Strong public speaking,oral and written communications ability.
- Experience working with and supporting a board of directors.
- Experience recruiting,managing, coaching, and mentoring staff.
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing situations and priorities. Good judgment and consensus-building skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Fluency in English; proficiency in another language, especially Spanish, is a plus.
- Other traits include: thoughtful, diplomatic and approachable, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse organizations and donors.
Please submit acover letterandrésumé or CV by 8 March 2017 to: [email protected]. Please include "Your name – IFIP ED"in the subject line of your email. All expressions of interest and applications will be held in strict confidence.
For additional information please contact: Lourdes Inga at [email protected].
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*