Democracy Now! Fellowships are paid, full-time, temporary work placements to help early career digital media professionals develop skills and gain experience in a daily live TV news environment. All fellowships take place at our Manhattan studio where we produce our daily news hour.
We are currently accepting applicants for our Social Media Fellowship.
Democracy Now! staff provide one-on-one mentorship and supervision to help Fellows maximize their exposure to a fast-paced newsroom and develop strong online and social publishing practices.
A successful Social Media Fellow will thrive in a deadline-driven daily news environment and be passionate about expanding the audience for Democracy Now!’s news content and supporting its non-commercial, independent news mission.
The workday begins as early as 7:00am ET, to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8:00am ET.
1 year, beginning April 2017
March 15, 2017
- Assist with drafting, editing and publishing stories from our daily news hour and from our archives to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, SoundCloud, Snapchat, Instagram and other platforms each day.
- Help monitor social media, trending news items and analytics to identify and maximize viral opportunities.
- Assist with promoting special programming, events and fundraising campaigns.
- Engage in strategic online outreach to influencers, publishers, journalists and organizations to promote news content.
- Support our growing online audience through comment moderation, correspondence with fans and participation in online communities of viewers & listeners.
- Assist with monthly reporting and analytics.
- 1-3 years experience with proven results in social media and digital journalism.
- Deep knowledge of core social channels including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, SoundCloud, Tumblr, StumbleUpon, Reddit.
- Experience maintaining social presence and strategy for news outlet.
- Passion for news and commitment to the mission of Democracy Now!
- Strong copywriting and editing skills, detail oriented, and can meet daily deadlines.
- Video/audio/image editing, knowledge of HTML, Photoshop & Adobe AfterEffects experience preferred.
- Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment.
Applicants must have a valid US work authorization and be available to work full-time for the duration of the one-year fellowship.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*