At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945 when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a short-term Policy Advisor (PA) for Food Security and Nutrition who is a key member of a fast-paced stimulating office that handles multiple development policy issues that impact millions of people in the developing world. The PA ensures that CARE's annual public policy priorities and advocacy agenda are well informed. We are encouraging candidates with expertise and focus on global food security and congressional and Administration experience to apply.
Benefits of the job include a great team of colleagues, interesting and compelling issues and an opportunity to make a difference in the world. This job may be part time.
- Analyze government policies on global food and nutrition security and develop and refine appropriate strategies for CARE’s government relations and Policy and Advocacy Department (PAD).
- Develop specific internal and external policy communications, analyze key legislation and regulations, and provide reports to the organization.
- Develop policy options for food aid reform in conjunction with PAD food security team in preparation for the 2018 FARM Bill Reauthorization.
- Represent CARE in non-governmental organization (NGO) coalitions as required.
- Provide policy analysis to support the CARE Action Network in implementing CARE's their agenda and educate CARE supporters.
- Provide policy and message guidance for CARE’s communications team, political digital advocacy with fundraising proposal development.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of international food and nutrition security issues. Familiarity with US international food aid programs;
- Degree in political science/international relations/ law or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience as outlined below;
- Substantial federal legislative experience;
- Solid background and knowledge of legislative environment on Capitol Hill and related executive branch departments;
- Knowledge and understanding of issues surrounding international development assistance policy and programs as well as its accompanying budget and appropriations processes;
- Excellent organizational, written and oral skills;
- Sound computer knowledge and skills.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*