School of the Americas Watch (SOA Watch) is seeking a Development Coordinator to begin in early May of 2017. This position is 32-40 hours a week and is based in Washington, DC. The Development Coordinator position has a salary of $32,000+/year.
Over the past two decades, SOA Watch has grown from a handful of people into one of the most dynamic multi-generational, cross-continental movements against militarization in the Americas. Thousands have been educated and mobilized to take a stand against U.S. foreign policy and to engage in nonviolent direct action. New layers of activists are joining the movement to close the SOA, including numerous youth and students from multinational, working-class communities.
Our work has not gotten easier. The coup in Honduras, the continuing repression against the pro-democracy resistance, the expansion of U.S. military bases in Colombia and Panama, and the militarization of the U.S./Mexico border are grim examples of what we are up against. At the same time, there is hope as we see movements throughout the hemisphere who are standing up for self-determination. We are organizing together with our partners in the Americas to push ahead.
● Produce donor appeals and other fundraising materials
● Research and track grant opportunities including to produce letters of intents and applications, compile/update supporting materials, and provide any necessary follow-up documents
● Develop and pursue new ways to raise money for SOA Watch
● Support local SOA Watch groups with fundraising events
● Cultivate, strengthen, build, maintain and nurture relationships with donors
● Attend networking, community and partner meetings/events to cultivate new donors
● Support the Planned Giving program by maintaining and tracking relationships with interested donors
● Coordinate activities of the Development Working Group and support their efforts
● Create fundraising opportunities for annual events (such as the Spring Days of Action and Vigil)
● Update and maintain donation links on website
● Maintain donor database
● Create and update donation pages for events, emails and Council members
● Process donations and maintain records on donors
● Prepare Thank You letters to donors and automatic email receipts for online donations
● Recruit and coordinate fundraising interns and volunteers
● Provide fundraising information for decision-making by SOA Watch Council and staff
● Support Operations Coordinator with promoting, selling and distributing SOA Watch resources (books, videos, etc.)
● Support Operations Coordinator with budgeting process
● In conjunction with other staff, answer calls and messages from SOA Watch activists
1. Non-profit fundraising experience and/or familiarity with advocacy work from the perspective of a non-profit advocacy group, or similar organization, is preferred.
2. Strong commitment to working in a diverse, grassroots movement rooted in solidarity with the people of Latin America.
3. Commitment to the mission of SOA Watch.
4. Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment; successfully manage multi-functional projects, priorities and timelines with minimal supervision; follow-through and attention to detail is essential.
5. Strong computer skills including ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite; solid knowledge and comfort with word processing, spreadsheets, mail merge and advanced functions.
6. Experience with and aptitude for relational databases; strong database skills, including high-level data entry, tracking and analyzing data and data forensics; knowledge of Salsa Labs is an advantage.
7. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
8. Excellent abilities to build and maintain relationships.
9. Willingness to work in a consensus decision-making environment.
10. Excellent time and project management skills.
11. Positive attitude and a sense of humor; a self-motivated, detail-oriented team player.
12. English and Spanish fluency/proficiency (speak, read, write).
Please send a resume, a cover letter explaining what qualities you would bring to this job, and three references to Kat Henao by March 31, 2017.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*