Systems Security Engineer – (Job #1728)
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Systems Security Engineer to work in the Knowledge Management & IT Department. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Systems Security Engineer (SSE) is responsible for ensuring the stability, integrity, and security of all voice and data network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, implementing, maintaining, and monitoring local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and enterprise systems. The SSE also provides support to IT analysts and end users as required along with other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with IT manager to assess near- and long-term network and system security needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network and system configuration, processes, and service records.
- Engineer, implement, and monitor security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information including:
- Perform security audits of LANs, WANs, servers and remote access.
- Regularly monitoring and auditing all NED systems for evidence of unauthorized access and/or activity.
- Perform forensics on security incidents.
- Write comprehensive reports including assessment-based findings, outcomes, and propositions for further system security incidents.
- Manage the security incident response process, in accordance with policy and in conjunction with the appropriate IT staff.
- Identify and define system and network security requirements.
- Design system/network security architecture and develop detailed security designs.
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Ensure the organization knows as much as possible, as quickly as possible, about security incidents.
- Conduct research on enterprise products, services, protocols, and standards.
- Work in conjunction with the IT Manager and other IT staff to ensure adequate segregation of duties in the performance of security-related tasks and assignments.
- Provide security training to staff.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Attend training classes in order to stay abreast of new technologies.
- Minimum 5 years’ proven working experience in building, maintaining and securing systems;
- Detailed technical knowledge of database, network, and operating system security;
- Hands-on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, application whitelisting, etc.
- Experience with network technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools;
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols;
- Familiarity with web related technologies (web applications, web services, service oriented architectures) and network/web related protocols;
- Experience with systems administration;
- Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge or fluency in additional languages is a plus;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language;
- Highly self-motivated and directed;
- Organized with keen attention to detail;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Leadership skills;
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment;
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Proven ability to develop standards and procedures.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to [email protected], with Job #1728 – Systems Security Engineer - YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries. www.ned.org/NED-Full-Employment-Application.pdf