The New Leaders Initiative (NLI) honors, supports and sustains exceptional youth environmental leaders around North America through the Brower Youth Awards (BYA), year-round coaching and programming for burgeoning young activists, and uplifting the role of youth in the environmental and social change movement.
The Director of the New Leaders Initiative will lead and grow a 17-year old program, building upon existing strengths and expanding relevant programmatic offerings. The Director will supervise a part-time Program Manager, who will, among other responsibilities, support the program's public outreach, social media and online presence. The Director of the New Leaders Initiative serves on the Management Team of Earth Island Institute, and works in close collaboration with the Development, Project Support and Earth Island Journal departments on specific projects, as well as helping the broader organization to advance a newly designed theory of change.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Annual Brower Youth Awards
- Manage a North Americanrecruitment effort of diverse and qualified applicants.
- Manage screening, evaluation, and selection process for finalists and special merit candidates.
- Event planning and promotion for annual awards ceremony and related events, including media outreach.
Youth Network Cultivation and Stewardship
- Engage BYA alumni and broader network in programming, and media and public speaking opportunities.
- Serve as a coach to BYA alumni and youth activists in NLI network.
External Relations & Fundraising Support
- Assist in corporate, foundation and donor fundraising in collaboration with Development Department.
- Create and highlight opportunities for community engagement with program.
Program Development & Administration
- Design and lead Brower Youth Award leadership week.
- In addition to the Brower Youth Awards, create public education opportunities and manage year-round small grant and strategic support program.
- Conduct ongoing assessment and analysis of NLI programs and offer feedback on improvements, enhancements and expansion plans to all programs.
- Recruit, train, create work plans for, and oversee interns and volunteers year-round as needed.
Partnership Management & Strategy
- Administer and expand partnerships with youth and environmental organizations, particularly those committed to an intersectional, movement building analysis.
- Foster relationships with youth led, environmentally conscious vendors and resources.
- Must possess Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in one or more of the following fields: environmental conservation, youth leadership, social change, movement building and organizing.
- Passion for youth leadership, social and environmental change.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation and relational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in program design, organization and facilitation skills.
- Experience in evaluation, metrics and analysis.
- Experience and deep competence in working with and providing support to diverse young people.
- Experience in developing and managing an operating budget.
- Candidates must be computer literate and have comprehensive working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, Gmail, and Google Docs. Web experience a plus.
- Comfort with social media and website tools.
- Flexibility and adaptability in work schedule to permit occasional evening and weekend commitments.
- Commitment to fostering positive culture of teamwork; strong self-starter.
- Ability to assume responsibility with minimum supervision.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Full benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 11 paid holidays per year, paid vacation and sick leave. The position is located in the David Brower Center, 1 block from the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
The position has a flexible Spring start date. Applications will be accepted until March 31.
Earth Island Institute is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Please send your resume along with a cover letter expressing your interest in Earth Island and how your qualifications align with the responsibilities of this position with NLI Program Directorin the subject line.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*