The Director of Communications, Global Water provides direction and leadership over a broad and integrated communications strategy for Global Water that facilitates the comprehension, adoption and advancement of the organization's goals and business objectives.
The Director of Communications, Global Water leads the development and implementation of an integrated communications strategy to build engagement, drive influence, support fundraising and achieve awareness goals for the Global Water program. S/he will be responsible for developing an integrated, efficient and effective communications, media and engagement strategy, and will work closely with senior executives to design and implement annual plans to achieve goals and to develop and maintain staff engagement. S/he will partner with department directors in Global Water and other senior level staff as necessary to develop communications strategies, messages, stories and campaigns that will elevate the Conservancy’s voice, stories and solutions to address the challenges facing water globally. S/He facilitates on-going communication between all parts of the globally dispersed marketing division and internal and external stakeholders. S/he manages staff, teams and consultants implementing program work.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Sets multi-year communications strategy and annual plans to advance the priorities of the Global Water program and the Conservancy’s global efforts;
- Designs and directs complex and diversified digital, print, video, events and earned media projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, and ensuring program accountability;
- Translates the complex global water strategies into compelling stories and messages that can be used externally with key audiences and donors, and amplified by the broader organization;
- Manages multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff based in London and the United States;
- Develops and manages budget, evaluates results and develops corrective strategies as needed;
- Significant opportunity to act independently within broad program goals;
- Leads strategic initiatives through collaboration with senior level stakeholders in order to enhance overall performance in accordance with short and long term objectives;
- Responsibility and accountability for meeting strategic goals and objectives;
- Decision can commit resources for programs or initiatives in a way that has organization wide impact and affects public image;
- Serve as mentor/advisor to communication and media staff throughout organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum 10 years related work experience in strategic communications, public relations or digital marketing, including at least 3 years’ experience at a senior management level;
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, mediation and negotiation skills;
- Experience evaluating effectiveness and measuring results of communications strategies;
- Experience cultivating and managing relationships with senior level executives, volunteer leaders, partner organizations and/or international media contacts;
- Experience in program management, including broad financial responsibility and measuring results of strategic plans;
- Experience managing a multidisciplinary, geographically dispersed team;
- Experience fostering an environment of creativity and professional growth;
- Experience designing, directing and implementing multiple projects.
- Expertise in conservation, water issues or managing complex communications for an international nonprofit;
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated;
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred;
- Master’s degree or extensive professional experience;
- Experience developing communication and engagement strategies and evaluating effectiveness of communications;
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices;
- Experience and/or understanding of communication best practices at a decentralized organization;
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution on a large multi-disciplinary team;
- Proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners, vendors, board members, and senior leaders both internal and external.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*