AMAR U.S. offers full-time and part-time voluntary Programs Assistant positions, lasting 3-4 months, to exceptional candidates with a keen interest in creating long-term sustainable solutions for populations in conflict zones and high-stress areas in the Middle East and elsewhere.
Programs Assistant interns will primarily assist with the management and reporting on AMAR U.S. programs and research and apply for grants from governmental, institutional, corporate and individual donors. This will include research and attendance of public events to maintain and develop knowledge of Middle Eastern development issues and best practice for AMAR interventions.
Programs Assistants will place a high value on capacity-building and institution-building through the provision of innovative health, education and empowerment initiatives as tools for stabilization, conflict resolution and human rights promotion. Programs Assistants will also receive a gratifying understanding of non-profit work by occasionally supporting fundraising and communications aspects of the work of AMAR U.S. Please see overleaf for key responsibilities and skills required.
About AMAR U.S.
AMAR U.S. was founded in 2010 as the American affiliate of the AMAR International Charitable Foundation, a British charity providing health and educational services in the Middle East and South Asia since 1991. Today AMAR is providing health care, education, human rights, empowerment and vocational training to over 500,000 people in the most disadvantaged areas of Iraq and Lebanon. AMAR U.S. currently has major ongoing projects to combat gender based violence and promote neo-natal health in Iraq, education projects in Lebanon, and continues to develop new programs to relieve poverty and suffering in some of the world’s most troubled regions.
For more information on internships with AMAR and profiles of previous Programs Assistants, visit: http://www.amarfoundation.org/en-us/jobs/. You can also read 'That Hopey Changey Thing', a summary of Zoe Dobkin's Summer 2013 internship with AMAR published in Georgetown University's 'Feminists-at-large' blog.
Website: http://www.amarfoundation.org/en-us Facebook: facebook.com/amarus
The position is voluntary. Volunteers receive a SmarTrip Card for travel to and from work for the duration of their internship.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Programs Assistants will support the work of the CEO and Programs Officer. Tasks will be varied and will include:
* Help manage existing and future projects with US-based donors;
* Research and apply for grants and new sources of funding from governmental, institutional, corporate and private donors.
* Help to represent AMAR to US government agencies, international institutions, NGOS and think-tanks;
* Maintain and develop knowledge of Middle Eastern development issues;
* Prepare presentations of AMAR projects and ‘the AMAR model’ in a variety of formats – powerpoint, briefing reports, web pages etc.;
* Assist in the development of the annual fundraising capacity of AMAR U.S. through activities including fundraisers and the maintenance of AMAR Supporters Circles in US cities;
* Arrange travel, meetings and appointments; Where appropriate, attend meetings, taking notes and drafting official minutes;
* General administrative and other ad hoc tasks.
* Interest in program management and implementation;
* Strong writing skills, the ability to produce high-quality work to deadlines and to balance multiple commitments in an organized and efficient way;
* Excellent interpersonal and communicative skills;
* Ability to work independently, good planning skills, time management, ability to prioritize;
* High level of numeracy;
* Keen interest in editing;
* Working knowledge of written Arabic is not required, but is a plus;
* Proficiency with IT generally and the Microsoft Office package;
* Commitment to core human rights values, tolerance and diversity.
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV, with the subject line ‘Programs Assistant Application’. All applications will be acknowledged.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*