The Communications Specialist will contribute to a raised awareness within the public domain about the efforts made by Millennium Promise toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals at subnational level in Rural Africa. The Communications specialist will provide information, communication and related capacity building support for Millennium Promise. He will report to the CEO of Millennium Promise.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee communications efforts for Millennium Promise, Sustainable Districts Program sites, Connect To Learn, and the One Million Community Health Workers Campaign and related stakeholders throughout Africa;
- Maintain relationship with the media;
- Lead the organization of major communications events;
- Coordinate high-level partner initiatives with stakeholders;
- Serve as spokesperson on sustainable development issues; and coordinate high-level visits by team members, donors, board members;
- Manage the design, development and dissemination of Millennium Promise communication material -on special initiatives, flagship and special programs, MP- including briefs, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, web features, blogs, newsletters, press releases, website and social media content;
- Promote the project’s results in national media by organizing and facilitating interviews with Millennium Promise senior officials and experts Develop concepts of various communications products such as TV programmes, publications and other promotional or information materials;
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of the communications strategy and work plan of the projects according to the Millennium Villages Project communication guidelines;
- Closely coordinate and monitor visibility activities;
- Other related responsibilities as required.
Key Deliverables throughout Project:
Key deliverables will be increased media coverage of Millennium Promise project and its team members in Africa, smoother and more effective events (including press conferences) for senior officials increased visibility and buy-in for Millennium Promise’s work in Africa (including by donors); production of new material for general and donor communications.
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Millennium Villages project;
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English required; fluency in regional and local dialects strongly preferred;
- Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, draft report, solve problems, manage PR projects, organize and meet expected results, adapt to different environments (cultural, economic, political and social);
- Strong familiarity with news agencies, government institutions, and PR agencies in Africa;
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in information and communication, or journalism, in PR agency or company or in development/research institutions or projects;
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing communications plans and programmes;
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; courtesy, tact, patience and team orientation;
- Excellent project management skills, highly organized;
- Demonstrated ability to handle/maintain confidential information;
- Relevant working experience in Millennium Promise Africa mandate area;
- Ability to travel internationally for several weeks at a time.
Education, Training and Experience
- Local candidates with demonstrated professional expertise and built-in networks are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Advanced university degree in Journalism/Mass Communications, information management or related fields;
- International/NGO/journalism/information and communication experience preferred.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*