In 2015, Namati and the Global Legal Empowerment Network led a successful advocacy campaign calling for access to justice to be included in the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This was the first time that the global community recognized access to justice as essential for peace, inclusive growth, and sustainable development. Now with populism and authoritarianism on the rise, we face challenges in translating these goals to real life. For many people, their ability to access justice is increasingly under threat.
Namati is searching for a big-hearted advocate who will help us develop, deliver, and implement successful wins across our global legal empowerment portfolio for an initial period of one year. Reporting to Namati’s Policy Director, and working closely with Namati’s program teams and Global Legal Empowerment Network members, the Campaigns and Advocacy Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Developing and adapting Namati’s current policy positions on extending and financing access to justice for multiple audiences, including governments and grassroots organizations.
- Forging and fostering meaningful relationships with partners and working closely and collaboratively with members of the Global Legal Empowerment Network to advance common advocacy goals.
- Adapting advocacy resources to cater to the diverse needs of global network members, for example, training materials and campaign tools.
- Supporting Namati’s partners who are working on national policy reforms, for example, by helping draft policy papers and organizing advocacy meetings.
- Supporting our policy director and global programs team to evaluate and continuously learn from our experience with advocacy campaigns.
- Providing additional support to Namati’s advocacy work at the global and program level as needed.
Here’s what you might have tackled in the past week:
- Held a call with a lead network member in the Philippines to provide guidance on developing a regional campaign and advocacy strategy on transitional justice in the Asia Pacific.
- Hosted a training webinar with Namati’s Policy Director on advocacy and the SDGs, facilitating an online Q&A with participants from the Global Legal Empowerment Network and general public.
- Attended a meeting in in New York for the United Nations Statistical Commission with senior ranking politicians and diplomats to advocate for increased global financing for access to justice.
- Contributed to research and writing for a policy paper on increasing access to justice developed by a partner organization in Nigeria.
- Drafted a feasibility report to be presented to Namati’s leadership team on developing a new global advocacy campaign.
About You/Must Haves for the position
- Track record of work on campaigns: You have 3-5 years’ experience in campaign project work involving a combination of digital organizing, non-violent direct action, public communication/engagement, and media. Educational background in International Development/International Relations or a related field a plus.
- Aptitude for investigation and analysis: You have a demonstrated track record of skilled research and writing. You can rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources to create evidence-based policy positions.
- Commitment to excellence: You are a mature, organized, detail-oriented, and proactive professional known for producing high quality content on deadline. You produce some of your best work when working independently with minimal direct supervision. You have high standards for the look of any product that passes through your hands.
- Exceptional communication skills: You have demonstrable experience engaging with diverse communities and are an outstanding communicator across a variety of channels. You are a “people person” with strong interpersonal skills and an intuitive sense of how to build and maintain strong, personable relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, tailoring your work style as needed.
- A global outlook: You are comfortable - and have experience - working with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. You are willing and available to travel internationally as part of your work.
- Mission orientation and drive: It’s in your nature to work tirelessly on a problem until you’ve seen the solution through to your complete satisfaction. You’re genuinely committed to Namati’s mission and eager to put the law in people’s hands. You are driven to make an impact.
- Growth mindset: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, reports, and anyone else.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*