CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual to lead its Honduras Malaria Team supporting the Ministry of Health’s National Malaria Program to plan and execute effective programs for malaria elimination. Over the past two and half years, CHAI has rapidly engaged in the country and helped them make meaningful steps towards orienting their national strategic plans and systems towards historic elimination by 2020.
The candidate must be able to build and manage effective relationships and drive successful implementation while having a deep personal commitment to producing results. A successful candidate will be highly motivated and hardworking with exceptional, organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills.
CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities including resourcefulness, tenacity, independence, patience, humility, and strong work ethic.
The base location for this position may change to a CHAI program country in Meso-America at a later date due to requirements of the role.
- Oversee the strategic, technical and management assistance across areas of CHAI support to the government
- Support and strategize with the NMCP on successful execution of the malaria elimination strategy; mobilize CHAI and partner resources to develop solutions to rapidly address bottlenecks
- Facilitate the reorientation of national malaria program towards elimination, specific activities may include:
- Updating guidelines, policies, and plans to align with global elimination recommendations
- Developing operational plans and associated training materials to build government capacity and support effective execution of malaria program
- Assist NMCP identify potential sources for and mobilization of additional funding to address any potential gaps preventing robust implementation of national malaria strategic plan
- Support implementation of vector control interventions in Gracias a Dios and other high-risk areas of the country, in coordination with regional health offices.
- Support pilot and national roll out of recently developed surveillance system ensuring rapid and accurate reporting of malaria data from health facilities and community health care workers and that all data is appropriately stored and managed to ensure a rapid and effective response
- Identify key impediments to the successful execution of the malaria elimination strategy and other national guidelines and work with the NMCP and partners to develop and implement solutions to rapidly address these bottlenecks
- Explore the utilization of new tools and interventions to eliminate malaria and develop operational plans and other materials to support the implementation of these tools
- Collaborate with NMCP and partner organizations to design and implement operational research projects to identify improved approaches that will help optimize malaria elimination interventions
- Drive internal strategic planning and budgeting processes related to the malaria work streams and oversee project performance against work plans and budget
- Other responsibilities as needed by team
- Train, develop work plans, and oversee the work of the Country Associate and the Gracias a Dios Regional Associate on a day to day basis, supporting staff to ensure optimal delivery of CHAI support
- Establish effective communication and coordination mechanisms within the CHAI malaria team in order to ensure well-coordinated work streams and maximum impact of CHAI’s support to national program;
- Work closely with the Country Support Manager, Regional Manager, and the Regional and Global Malaria Teams to maintain overall strategic direction of the program
- Identify strategic areas for expansion or redirection and guide strategic planning or proposal development as needed
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of work experience including experience managing others
- Exceptional problem solving skills and quantitative and qualitative analytical capabilities
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to create compelling, logical presentations, using PowerPoint and other tools, and a structured and assured oral and written communication style
- Advanced analytical skills and problem-solving with proven ability to develop and apply quantitative models using Excel and other tools to address specific challenges and improve working practices with a focus on outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships in a challenging politically unstable environment
- Ability to manage numerous work streams simultaneously in high pressure situations
- Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Ability to travel up to 75% as needed
- Fluency in Spanish
- Fluency in English
- Advanced degree in public health or business
- Experience executing successful health projects in developing countries, ideally malaria-specific projects.
- Experience developing database systems and using statistical software for data analysis
- Experience living and working in Central America, including as a native of the region
- Experience working with governments and institutions from Latin America
- Experience in working with malaria and/or other infectious diseases
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*