At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The contribution of our 40 experts and staff is multiplied by an exemplary board of directors, and further leveraged by the work of partners in more than 17 countries. We pride ourselves on a strong set of institutional values that prizes excellence, teamwork, integrity and mutual respect. We hold firm our commitment to people, and as such we offer a generous benefits package, great work/life perks, and a flexible environment in which each individual is supported to be their best selves.
We are seeking a dynamic, strategic, motivated individual to be our next Senior Research & Policy Analyst, a pivotal member of our senior team. Under the direction of the Director of Research, the Senior Policy Analyst will monitor current research, policies, and media to identify pressing issues relating to PAI's mission. Then, design and carry out strategic research analyses with practical recommendations to improve policies and funding of the U.S. Government, multilateral institutions such as the United Nations, and other important actors in the field. Research topics may include family planning and contraception policies and trends, gender equality and women’s rights, the Global Gag Rule and other harmful U.S. policies, women's economic security, governance, and the environment.
As a member of the Research department, this position will engage in all aspects of research and evaluation, including contributing to new business development opportunities and proposal development based on recommendations that leverage PAI’s strategic programs and objectives. As technical subject matter expert, provides oversight of specific programs and department outputs and conducts technical reviews, serves as spokesperson for specific audiences and events, and is liaison with external partners.
- Master's degree and 5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Outstanding writing and oral communication skills;
- Experience in or familiarity with U.S. government, United Nations and other global processes relating to sexual and reproductive health;
- Background in policy analysis and issue advocacy; and demonstrated ability to translate research into compelling and persuasive, issue-oriented information and educational materials
· Team player with a sense of humor, collaboration and creativity.
· Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time
· Fluency in French and/or Spanish helpful
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analytical Research: Execute research functions in assigned topic areas including monitoring trends in the field, scoping new areas of PAI research, collecting and compiling information, producing written analysis with key findings and practical recommendations. This includes conducting original research and analyzing existing data and research. Products include written reports, policy and issue briefs, working papers, concept papers, blogs, and policy advocacy materials with an aim to communicate complex technical issues to a policy and advocacy oriented audience using consistent PAI messaging using consistent PAI messaging;
- Subject Expertise: Respond to internal and external requests for research or technical assistance to analyze data. Serve as an internal/external resource on assigned topics; respond to requests for information; lead brown-bag discussions, and provide analysis to staff, advise on reliable data sources, retrieve data and perform original calculations; provide details to developing country partners/grantees and others on data sources, methodologies and trends. Serve as technical liaison and subject matter expert for external research partners;
- Critical Analytical Writing/Technical Writing and Editing: Develop and write publications, blogs, grant proposals, reports, and policy advocacy materials with an aim to communicate complex technical issues to a policy and advocacy oriented audience using consistent PAI messaging. Collaborate with the External Relations department in the dissemination of research products to target audiences and stakeholders;
- External Representation: Represent PAI on key technical issues using consistent PAI messaging, respond to media inquiries and speaker requests as appropriate; submit abstracts and represent PAI at conferences, coalitions, and meetings; monitor and collaborate with other advocacy and research groups to ensure consistency and coordination of PAI work efforts; travel as needed to perform these responsibilities;
- Strategic Planning: Provide strategic recommendations and support to PAI’s program work; identify opportunities for PAI research, advocacy, funding, and partnerships that advance PAI’s mission; track relevant global and national policy processes and report their impact/influence on PAI’s work; coordinate with and contribute to PAI’s advocacy and communications work; actively participate in proposal writing and grant reporting and maintain relationships with funders and potential funders as needed;
- Project Management: Provide oversight of the activities and outputs of department project(s); develop work plans in collaboration with Programs team, conduct technical reviews (monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of indicators); ensure that project work is implemented in an efficient, effective manner that aligns with PAI target objectives, manages project budget, and oversee project execution;
- Department Management. Assist in the management and essential functions of the Research department; advise the Director of Research on department strategy, staff matters, and work status; contribute to and help guide annual and quarterly department planning and regular meetings. Lead the work of other Research Department staff as assigned.
Salary: $65,000 - $80,000 commensurate with experience
Please submit a cover letter and resume with “Senior Research & Policy Analyst” in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted on PAI’s website until the position is filled. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and a family-friendly organization offering a competitive benefit package.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*