REPORTS TO:Director, Resource Mobilization
LOCATION:New York or Washington, DC
EngenderHealth’s vision is Women and Girls First. The vision is underpinned by the mission, namely catalyzing the value of women and girls by harnessing the power of sexual and reproductive rights and health. EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival.
The Senior Resource Mobilization Manager, Private Foundations, works to mobilize resources by researching, identifying, and conducting outreach to new private institutional donors and supports stewardship of existing donors. Working closely with the Program Management and Evidence, Quality and Impact teams, the Senior Resource Mobilization Manager will manage proposal development, be responsible for ensuring timely and quality reporting to current foundation donors, and serve as an internal resource on Private Foundation relationships. The Senior Resource Mobilization Manager will be responsible for cultivating and maintaining Engender Health’s portfolio of private donors, including strategic partnering and relationship management. S/he will also contribute to strategic planning for resource mobilization and supporting program staff across the organization in their efforts to identify new opportunities and approach new donors. This position reports to the Director, Resource Mobilization and collaborates with the other members of the Resource Mobilization team to enhance synergies across private and public resource mobilization efforts. The Senior Resource Mobilization Manager is also responsible for supervising and developing other resource mobilization staff.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with private foundation donors through regular communication and provide regular updates to the Director for Resource Mobilization regarding any outstanding or potential issues.
- Cultivate external communication networks among donors, partners, potential partners, and competitors, to assist the gathering of information and identification of trends and resources in order to inform the organizational resource mobilization strategy and help position the organization for new private funding opportunities.
- Contribute to identifying and achieving resource mobilization benchmarks through gathering, tracking, synthesizing, and disseminating intelligence and other information regarding new funding and cultivating new private funders.
- Manage the pre-proposal/capture phase for future or anticipated donor procurements in close collaboration with the Program Management and Evidence, Quality, and Impact teams, including:
- Lead positioning or capture processes to scope out/prepare for anticipated future donor procurements.
- Oversee capture trips to gather relevant information/data for situation analyses and competitive external analyses.
- Lead partnering discussions and advise technical team on the development of competitive partnering and staffing strategies.
- Manage the development, finalization and submission of assigned proposals, in coordination with other EngenderHealth staff and partner organizations, with a particular country and regional focus. This includes:
- Prepare for and participate in ‘bid/no-bid’ decisions.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the assigned proposal team, from initiation of the proposal through submission.
- Design, plan, facilitate and follow-up proposal team meetings and partners’ meetings.
- Manage partner negotiations and proposal development relationships. This includes leading the development of partnering strategies in close collaboration with the technical lead; coordinating partner negotiations and development of Teaming Agreements; ensuring timely proposal inputs and deliverables from partners; and constructive problem-solving
- Write and/or edit collateral documents needed for proposals including capability statements, past performance references, personnel resumes, job descriptions, and background information on the relevant subject area.
- Write and/or revise proposal sections such as executive summary, technical approach, management and staffing plans, and other sections as assigned. Contribute to writing in areas of programmatic and/or technical expertise.
- Coordinate all aspects of the technical and cost applications, working with the assigned leads for the technical and cost sections of the proposal, grants and contracts staff, and human resources staff for recruitment and personnel related matters.
- Ensure effective participation and input, as needed, from field-based managers, technical, and operations support staff
- Ensure timely production and submission of assigned proposals in collaboration with other business development team members. This includes editing the final document, providing basic formatting and overseeing additional formatting, and final production and submission of all sections and cover letters.
- Manage the post-submission period in close collaboration with the Program Management, Grants and Contracts, and Finance teams, including:
- Oversee best and final offers.
- Lead post-submission debriefings.
- Support the hand-off and transition of awarded projects to the Program Management team and cross-functional start-up teams.
- Develop and write other documents as needed for proposals and marketing of EngenderHealth programs to potential donors, including liaising with program staff (field & HQ-based) on these duties and translating technical information into easily understood language for materials targeted for non-technical audiences (e.g., donors, general public).
- Contribute to the refinement and use of EngenderHealth’s standard operating procedures for resource mobilization.
- Collaborate with the Resource Mobilization team (NY HQ, field), to develop and implement strategies to strengthen resource mobilization best practices through coaching, mentoring, and other training (virtual and/or in-person), including support to EngenderHealth’s internal “BD Global Network” – global staff that are/will expand responsibilities to include business development functions in the field (capture to submission).
- Supervise, flexibly deploy, and develop assigned staff and a consultant team of skilled and effective professionals (e.g. writers, capture specialists, researchers, proposal managers) who successfully support and implement essential resource mobilization functions.
- As part of a nascent, long-term, field-based resource mobilization sustainability plan, contribute to the identification, engagement and development of national talent in the country of assignment and/or regional resource mobilization talent for EngenderHealth
- Ensure compliance with all private funder reporting requirements’ including coordinating with the Program management, Grants and Contracts, and Finance teams as necessary to track use of funds; submit timely reports, and respond to all donor queries.
- Write promotional copy for organizational reports, where needed and other copy for internal and external audiences, as assigned.
- As needed, international travel will be required.
- Complete all other assignments and performs other duties as assigned.
- Judgment - Demonstrates sense of ownership, being conscientious in the discharge of leadership mandates, and accepting of the consequences of one’s actions. Determines when leadership should be shown vs. suppressed; when collaboration is appropriate vs. going it alone; when to demonstrate humility vs. confidence; and when to be temperate vs. bold.
- Role-modeling - Role-models appropriate behaviors; communicates and monitors measurable standards which the behavior of others must meet; addresses inappropriate behavior from others.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
- Partnering and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with external partners and staff; builds wide and effective networks within and outside the organization. Relates well to people at all levels and manages conflict. Collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
- Persuading and Influencing - Gains agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others inside and outside ENGENDERHEALTH; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
- Learning and Researching - Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making.
- Entrepreneurial Thinking - Keeps up to date with trends in own work area; identifies opportunities for advancing Engender Health’s mission; maintains awareness of developments in the organizational structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness and a concern for cost-effectiveness.
- Planning and Organizing - Ability to set goals and objectives and develop the steps to achieve them. Ability to balance priorities and design programs/projects to achieve desired outcomes. Identifies the most appropriate measures for assessing program/project achievements, emphasizing outcomes; makes adjustments to plans and resource allocation as needed to stay on track.
- Result Oriented - Works to achieve desired policy and program outcomes. Develops challenging performance expectations ensuring the right mix of activities and resources. Includes setting goals and priorities that maximize the use of resources available to consistently deliver results against government direction, ministerial objectives and public expectations.
Education, Experience and Certifications:
- Minimum 5 years’ senior resource mobilization experience at a large-scale international development and/global health organization, country level experience preferred.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., public health, international development, business administration).
- Minimum 2 years of demonstrated strategic partnership development experience in the private sector, with a track record of successful donor cultivation and management.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Successful and demonstrated team leadership and management track record in resource mobilization and proposal development.
- Technical knowledge or exposure to sexual and reproductive health (family planning, maternal and child health) and rights.
- Extensive understanding of the key donor programmatic and procurement environment of private foundations.
- Excellent relationship building skills, externally and internally, including proven results in working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and preferably French, including proposal writing.
- Ability and willingness to adjust work schedules and priorities to meet business development deadlines and juggle multiple opportunities.
- Flexibility/willingness to travel internationally and domestically, as needed.
Please visit the Careers page on our website, www.EngenderHealth.org. Search for the position title under “Various locations” and submit an application along with cover letter.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws.
EngenderHealth is organized in teams, with each team managed by a program manager. As a result, additional duties may be assigned to this position; responsibilities changed or deleted based on team assignments and re-structuring; and direct supervisor is subject to change. Decisions regarding applications for this position and employment at EngenderHealth should be based on