The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region- specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, growth and development, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Senior Research Fellow / Research Fellow.
Applications are invited for a full-time tenured / tenure-track position, preferably starting
1 January 2018. Remuneration (TV-AVH / TVöD EG14/13) and tenure status will be commen- surate with experience, qualifications, and tasks.
The successful candidate will:
- conduct excellent research fitting the GIGA’s research agenda and with impact in his/her
- be an active member of one Regional Institute of the GIGA and at least one Research
- pursue a targeted publication strategy, acquire third-party funding, and conduct re-
search-based knowledge transfer
- Doctorate in political science, economics, or a cognate discipline
- Profound knowledge of political, economic, and/or social developments in countries of
one or more of the following world regions: Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and
fit with the GIGA’s research agenda
- Excellent academic record, demonstrated by at least three publications in renowned
peer-reviewed journals and/or leading publishing houses within four years preceding the
- Successful record in third-party funding acquisition, demonstrated by at least one ap-
proved research proposal of substantial size in a competitive procedure, with the funding
decision taken within four years preceding the application
- Additional achievements (such as management experience, contributions to knowledge
transfer, editorial know-how)
- English-language proficiency; additional language skills relevant to one or more of the
regions researched at the GIGA are an asset
In the German context, academic tenure refers to a permanent position until the incumbent retires (or leaves the institution). The tenure-track position is designed for further professional qualification as defined in §2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act) and includes a tenure option after successful performance evaluation. Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages appli- cations from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential con- sideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*