The Girls’ Education (GE) Program Officer spends the majority of his or her time providing direct support to the GE Program Associate (PA) and report to the State Manager. The work entails supporting and sometimes facilitating PA trainings and working 1:1 and in groups with PAs to ensure they are effective in their roles. The Program Officer is also responsible for aspects of program administration such as reviewing and analyzing program data collected by Social Mobilizers (SMs) and PAs, supporting needs assessments and delivery of material support for girls on the program, and supporting the annual planning and budgeting process.
Duties & Responsibilities
Program Implementation and Training
- Manage Program Associates
- Support PAs to ensure they are providing targeted and appropriate support to SMs so that girls receive quality life skills sessions and parents receive quality parent workshops aligned to the standards in our worldwide program content packages.
- Support PAs to facilitate group discussions with the SMs. This may include providing ideas for discussion topics and coaching the PA on how to handle difficult topics.
- Ensure PAs know how to coach SMs to identify and support girls at risk of dropping or failing out of school using Room to Read’s risk and response protocol.
- Conduct PA performance reviews with appropriate feedback at timely intervals
- Facilitate PA review meetings on a monthly basis especially in enhanced locations to discuss and identify solutions to challenges SMs are facing, challenges with data collection, or other field-level program implementation challenges.
- Supports INCO to ensure overall program implementation quality, including local adaptation of Room to Read’s worldwide program content and meets Room to Read’s standards.
- Ensure school authorities and communities are supportive of the program and fulfilling the agreements they made.- eg providing of a gender resource Centre
- Conduct training for PAs. This may include co-facilitating training sessions.
- Participate in regular trainings and meetings with Room to Read staff, as planned.
- Participate in regular review meetings and any other activities that may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Coordinate with other POs/Program Manager to implement GEP activities- eg participate in special task forces as agreed
- Participate in donor site visits and provide information to donors about Room to Read’s Girls’ Education Program as needed.
Liasioning, networking and building linkages
- Liasioning with State education departments, KGBVs, Ashram schools etc. to explore opportunities for technical assistance and devise a plan for the same
- Build a state level girls education network and make this as an advocacy event for girls education
- Engage with print and electronic media to create visibility for GEP
- Explore state level scholarships, schemes available for girls and link them to the same. Create a road map to ensure girls avail the same.
- Identify local referral services for the girls including counselling, health services etc.
- Identify and strengthen community development structures (SMCs, VCPC) for creating safety nets for girls and strengthening similar institutions at the State level.
- Participate and contribute in Program quality discussion at India Country office level (INCO)
- Facilitate discussion with PAs/ SMs around quality and ensure its implementation at the field level
- Conduct regular field visits and observe the implementation of pre- decided quality benchmarks in the field basis the LS observation form
- Provide regular updates and inputs to INCO on quality benchmark implementation
Annual planning and budgeting
- Contribute to the Annual Planning and Budgeting (AP & B) guidelines
- Prepare annual GEP budget of the State in assistance with the State Manager
- Ensure monthly budget forecast and re- appropriation of underspending funds
- Track implementation and spending patterns of the State GEP
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Ensure the SMs and PAs are monitoring and keeping records of girls including attendance, academic performance, and other program activities as required per the program design. Collect, review and analyse data as needed.
- Prepare and review regular staff reports.
- Submit monthly and quarterly report to INCO with quality inputs
- Document best practices, case studies and lessons learned and share with the GEP Team, as needed- minimum 4 a year
- Master’s degree in education/Social work/development studies/Gender or social sciences.
- Experience of working in the areas of elementary/secondary education, girls education, gender , school development and life skills
- Experience in developing training modules, conducting trainings and managing events.
- Ability to travel frequently and spend time in the field.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English and Hindi/or the local language of the state where position is based
- A range of 5-8 years’ experience in working
- Prior experience in planning and facilitating trainings.
- Prior experience coaching others.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong organizational and planning skills including the ability to monitor progress of program implementation.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Experience working with and or counseling adolescent girls.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Fluency in language spoken by girls.
- English fluency.
- Prior experience living and/or working in rural areas.
- Prior experience working with schools, teachers, and government officials.
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*