Health Horizons International (HHI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving community health and primary health care in the Dominican Republic. We develop direct service and capacity building programs in four core partner communities, and bring solutions to scale through strategic partnerships with primary care clinic networks and nationally-driven initiatives. We focus on:
- Empowering Local Leaders: Our Community Health Workers Program empowers local individuals with the knowledge and tools to improve the health of their neighbors. In our core communities, the promotores de salud are partners in the provision of primary care, with a targeted focus on chronic diseases. They are promoters of health education and connection to existing health systems, and leaders who act as agents of change in community health. Drawing on insights and evidence from our core program, we work with the Ministry of Health to train promotores across the province, and strengthen their ability to serve patients with chronic diseases.
- Strengthening Primary Health Care Quality: We support primary health care centers in establishing and improving the systems, tools, and practices necessary to provide high quality health care to patients, focusing on chronic diseases. We work with health centers across the province to establish measures of quality excellence, train physicians and nurses, and provide support and guidance for continuous learning and improvement. We connect people with diagnosed chronic diseases to a community health worker, who supports them in managing their condition through medication and behavior, and serves as an advocate and bridge to the primary care system.
- Promoting Public Health: We help community members build and maintain their well-being through health education and prevention programs. We implement innovative, community-based programs that help people who are at risk for chronic diseases to incorporate healthy eating and exercise into their lifestyles. We partner with the Ministry of Health to lead public health awareness campaigns. We work to influence the national conversation about chronic disease prevention, treatment, and management, to ensure that patient outcomes are at the center of national strategy.
Established in 2009, HHI is a mission-driven, vibrant organization that is constantly being shaped by community feedback and on-the-ground experience. We are in an exciting position to grow and deepen our impact, and are looking for an Executive Director with the energy, vision, and passion to do so. HHI maintains offices in Montellano, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and in Bloomfield, Connecticut, USA.
About the Position
The Executive Director is entrusted with serving as a visionary for realizing HHI’s mission, in collaboration with the communities HHI serves, the Board of Directors, and all employees, volunteers, and partners. She or he leads HHI in developing the knowledge, culture, and competencies necessary to grow as a community-based, nationally influential organization. The Executive Director is responsible for all programs, personnel, and resources, and ensures HHI’s efficient operation within the approved budget. The position demands a passion for global health and community development, expertise in working towards a comprehensive vision of health in partnership with communities and institutions, and the leadership skills to drive further growth and scale the organization.
The Executive Director is based in the Puerto Plata province, with regular travel to Santo Domingo and approximately 3-4 weeks of travel per year to the United States. The Executive Director has four direct reports, and oversees a total staff of ten. This position reports to the Chair of the Board of Directors.
Areas of Responsibility
Revenue Generation and Fundraising (30% time)
- Lead creation and implementation of development strategy to ensure financial sustainability.
- Seek funding through traditional and entrepreneurial avenues, encompassing activities and sources based in the United States, Dominican Republic, and elsewhere. This includes individual fundraising and donor engagement, writing and securing foundation grants, pursuing public and corporate partnerships, exploring social enterprise models, and planning events and campaigns.
- Develop and manage the infrastructure necessary to maintain excellent fundraising and revenue generation functions. This includes communication and outreach tools, donor database records, fundraising operations procedures, and monitoring and reporting tools.
Program Management and Leadership (20% time)
- Oversee the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and growth of all programs. Ensure programs are aligned with HHI’s mission and strategic plan, and with best practices in global health and capacity building.
- Effectively utilize data to assess progress, inform program development, and report outcomes. Ensure the quality, effectiveness, and sustainability of all services.
- Engage community members, partners, staff, volunteers, Board members, and supporters as stakeholders in program activities and impact.
Finance and Administration (15% time)
- Develop the annual budget for approval by the Board of Directors and engage in multi-year financial planning.
- Directly manage organizational budget and financial reporting, and ensure compliance with all regulations governing US 501(c)(3) organizations and Dominican charitable organizations.
- Develop and manage the infrastructure necessary to maintain transparency, accuracy, and efficiency in all financial, operational, and administrative functions.
Talent Management and Leadership (15% time)
- Ensure excellence in management, support, and professional development for all staff and volunteers, including establishing clear job descriptions, expectations, and goals.
- Ensure staff and volunteer roles and team structures are designed, built, and maintained to effectively and efficiently meet HHI’s organizational needs and mission.
- Develop and uphold personnel policies and practices that promote a culture of collaboration, empowerment, and accountability.
Partnerships and Community Relations (15% time)
- Develop and strengthen strategic partnerships with health care and public health institutions, businesses, community organizations, and government entities to ensure program success.
- Build HHI’s visibility and reputation with constituents, partners, funders, supporters, and influencers. This includes in-person engagements, virtual and print communications, social media, traditional media, public appearances, and other outreach strategies.
Board of Directors Administration (5% time)
- Collaborate with the Board Chair to ensure fulfillment of all management and governance duties.
- Support the Board Chair in developing quarterly Board of Directors meeting agendas.
- Provide information and analysis as required for Board of Directors to steward HHI’s mission and assure strong governance and fiduciary oversight.
Skills and Qualifications
- Professional fluency in English and Spanish.
- Academic or professional background in public health, health care, global issues, program management, and non-profit management.
- International work experience in Latin America required; experience with US-based international organizations preferred.
- Strategic planning, business planning, and operational planning and analysis capabilities.
- Record of program leadership requiring partnership development and collaboration.
- Experience and success in delivering on ambitious fundraising and revenue goals.
- Financial and budget management expertise.
- Ability to supervise, manage, and collaborate with diverse colleagues and team members.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural competency, and relationship-building abilities.
- Strong organizational skills and attentiveness to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities, including public speaking.
- Independent, open-minded, innovative, and motivated to develop and achieve ambitious goals.
- Ability to take on challenging situations requiring creativity and patience.
- Flexibility to travel domestically and internationally and work occasional evenings and weekends.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Craig Czarsty, M.D., Chair of the Board of Directors. Selected candidates will be invited to a phone or Skype interview, and finalists will be interviewed in person by the Executive Search Committee. Applications will be accepted, and offers extended, on a rolling basis.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*