Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, the Chief, Planning, Programme, and Guidance Unit (PPGU) is responsible for: providing strategic analysis of results and programmatic direction with recommendations on any actions to be taken; promoting excellence in results-based management across UN-Women’s programme; overseeing the development and maintenance of guidance, policies, procedures and tools for the delivery of high quality programmes in particular the Programme Operations Manual; supervising and ensuring necessary improvements and updating of the Results Management System and through that and other means corporate reporting on the work of the programme; overseeing UN Women’s compliance with its obligations under the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI); representing UN Women as appropriate in inter-agency fora; and supervising the staff and work of the Planning and Programme Guidance Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide substantive analysis and advice on programmatic direction, including programme planning:
- Provide analysis of programmatic trends in UN Women’s programme and make recommendations on potential actions arising;
- Oversee and provide substantive inputs to the development of Strategic Notes and Annual Workplans;
- Provide substantive advice and support to the Directorate in formulation of the Strategic Plan;
- Prepare reports and analyses of corporate performance in programmatic areas, working in coordination with Regional Offices and other parts of UN Women;
- Provide technical support to the coordination and guidance of regional planning and coordination officers.
Lead the development of programme guidance:
- Identify areas where strengthened staff capacity in programmatic areas is required, and coordinate the development of capacity development approaches and materials, including the management and updating of the Programme and Operations Manual in collaboration with the Management and Administration Division;
- Ensure alignment between UN Women programme guidance and the standards developed within the UN Development Group and other relevant parts of the UN system;
- Lead on efforts to increase corporate capacity to utilize Results Based Management.
Lead corporate reporting and learning from Programming including overseeing the management of the Results Management System:
- Lead and manage the Division’s production of annual corporate reports to the Executive Board/ECOSOC;
- Provide technical advice and substantive support to UN Women offices (HQ and the field) in fulfilling monitoring and reporting requirements;
- Liaise with Regional Offices and Country Offices and HQ units to generate lessons and capture best practices from Programming to stimulate cross-regional and cross-thematic learning and knowledge building;
- Provide strategic advice to the Directorate on and oversee the development and use of the results management system.
Participate in inter-agency mechanisms:
- Participate as required in UNDG mechanisms focusing on programming and programme guidance to promote the incorporation of gender equality and women’s empowerment including in the guidance and tools for UN’s operational activities (CCA/UNDAFs, DAO, joint programmes);
- Guide and inform the development of appropriate tools, best practices and guidance to enhance UN Women’s coordination and gender mainstreaming function in the UN system;
- Support development of system-wide accountability mechanisms at the country level, including gender markers for resource allocation, performance Indicators and gender audits.
Lead the Unit’s contribution to Knowledge Management initiatives:
- Lead the unit’s contribution to capacity development programmes to enhance skills and knowledge in results based management programming;
- Represent UN Women in key policy and management for external groups related to knowledge management, including the UNDG Working Group on Knowledge Management;
- Lead the unit’s contribution to development and maintenance of global and regional programme knowledge networks and practices, and development of knowledge products;
- Oversee preparation of results assets for the purposes of communication of impact and outreach.
Lead UN Women’s compliance with obligations under IATI:
- Ensure that UN Women is compliant with its obligations under IATI using data in the Results Management System;
- Participate in IATI processes as appropriate to ensure UN Women’s active participation in this and other transparency initiatives.
Manage and lead the PPGU Unit:
- Lead strategic planning for the PPGU Unit;
- Establish the annual work plan of the unit in support of UN Women’s Strategic Plan and Division of Management and Administration priorities; Set objectives, performance measurements, standards and results for the section;
- Supervise, manage, and assess staff members by providing them with clear objectives and goals as well as direction and guidance to enable them to perform their duties and responsibilities effectively and efficiently; ensure PMD for staff is implemented in a timely manner.
Key Performance Indicators:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively lead, manage, monitor an oversee UN Women’s programs while ensuring that it has the systems and capacity to move forward in implementing its Strategic Plan and further strengthen inter-agency partnerships and influence in the context of UN reform. This impact leads to ensuring impact and enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment.
- Quality analysis and strategic thinking which leads to the development and maintenance of strong programmes;
- Quality Strategic Notes and Annual Workplans in HQ and the field as a result of technical support;
- Quality reports which inform and affect future decision making;
- Quality tools for gender mainstreaming in the UN system;
- Compliance with IATI;
- Performance of unit.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Theoretical, intellectual and technical skills in aid development/programming and analysis;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and practices, introduce new approaches and strategic innovations;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to lead a team;
- Ability to develop and implement strategies;
- Knowledge of principles underlying IATI.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in development related disciplines, economics or public policy or other social science fields.
- Over 10 years of extensive development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programs and in institutional processes (strategic planning, programming, monitoring, reporting and evaluation), preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*