As a member of the IRUSA’s Public Affairs Department, the position will work closely with the team to increase the organization's visibility, spotlight its programs, provide media relations, and lead media outreach. This candidate must show the commitment to IRUSA’s faith inspired values and principles as well as a commitment to the vision and mission of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to media queries by providing background information, arranging interviews and facilitating media visits to field to show our programs potentially.
- Writes press releases and develops effective pitches in collaboration with the Communications Department.
- Conceptualizes and implements strategic media plans.
- Cultivates relationships with key media influencers, celebrities and thought leaders in local, national and international markets.
- Works with domestic and international field staff to identify stories for IRUSA and external media.
- Advises regional and fundraising staff on media related skills and techniques.
- Manages outreach and relationship development with media, bloggers, and press.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for news media.
- Organizes press conferences and speaking events.
- Produces and/or place op-eds, blogs and other content including original infographics for external publication.
- Prepares talking points and briefing materials for key IRUSA Staff including CEO and disseminates general talking points to IRUSA staff, as needed.
- Manages IRUSA's media database, builds media lists and tracks media coverage.
- Analyzes and reports on media analytics periodically.
- Acts as IRUSA’s spokesperson for media and events when necessary.
- Assists with scheduling, correspondence and invoices as needed.
- Assists with logistics of events during seasonal periods.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism required; Master’s preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Public Relations or Communications field.
- Familiarity with Meltwater or other media management platforms a plus.
- Strong ability to communicate (orally and in writing) persuasively and strategically, and with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong writing and editing skills with ability to produce polished and compelling copy on tight deadlines.
- High degree of professionalism and flexibility, including willingness to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Strong organizing skills including the ability to prioritize and effectively manage assignments in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with varied and diverse stakeholders.
- Must exhibit strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Creativity in tapping and cultivating mainstream media and social networking communities.
- Proven ability to identify and market good story ideas.
- A positive, energetic and proactive multi-tasker who can work independently or very collaboratively, as part of a team.
- Technical proficiency in MS Office, Google applications and use of databases along with internet research techniques.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
To apply you must send your resume and writing samples and include the position title in the subject of your email.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*