The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to protect workers’ rights and improve working conditions worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland; and Shanghai, China. For more information see www.fairlabor.org.
The Research and Technical Advisor will be a member of the FLA’s Research and Innovation team, which is responsible for promoting innovation and research by means of data-mining, data analysis and data visualization, innovative tool development, special investigations and focused assessments, surveys, studies and other forms of applied research. The successful candidate will have a strong research background (in particular in both qualitative and quantitative research methodology), excellent writing skills, the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences, and the ability to work well under pressure. The Research and Technical Advisor will report to the Director of Research and Innovation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- FLA Data Analysis
- Data mining and analysis of aggregate due-diligence data and presentation of results in written, graphic and oral forms. One of the organizational priorities is fair compensation.
- Assist in defining and writing the short-term and long-term data strategy for the organization.
- Support organizational efforts to seek funding for data mining.
- Innovative Tools and Methodologies
- Based on emerging trends from data analysis, evaluate existing FLA tools and methods and develop and refine innovative and value added tools for FLA affiliates.
- Design and lead research projects on a variety of topics including upstream supply chain mapping and company corporate social responsibility performance, and ensure that such projects meet the highest standards of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Support targeted research (such as around compensation) and presentation of results to a variety of audiences.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Director of Research and Innovation and / or VP Programs
- Advanced degree in sociology, political science, or international relations, including training in quantitative and qualitative research
- Substantive knowledge, gained through prior employment or academic experience, of labor rights, labor/industrial relations, corporate social responsibility, supply chains and human rights
- Experience conducting research on company environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues and/or knowledge of ESG reporting for investment community
- Experience in analysis using large data sets (using STATA, R, or another statistics program, plus qualitative analysis)
- Demonstrated ability to present research findings to non-specialist audiences
- Experience in survey design
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Experience in writing or contributing to grant proposals and/or reports
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Proven ability to write clearly, concisely, and on deadline
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office programs and at least one statistical package
- Proficiency in at least one non-English language relevant to FLA’s work
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*