Duties and Responsibilities
Monitor global, regional and thematic gender-related SDGs targets and indicators:
- Compile data and metadata for global, regional and thematic monitoring of the gender-related SDGs targets and indicators;
- Develop data routines using statistical packages, including Stata and R software to automate data compilation, exchange and dissemination processes; including statistical indicators’ calculation and aggregation, data tabulations, charts generation;
- Ensure data quality by researching, collecting and assessing sources of relevant data; including also by verifying data with data providers;
- Contribute to UN Women’s engagement with country counterparts on SDG indicators that UN Women is responsible for; including disseminating information, providing technical support, as requested, and addressing other queries, including from National Statistical Offices (NSOs), women’s machineries and other relevant partners;
- Provide support to the methodological work for the gender related Tier III indicators and contribute to the harmonization of the gender related Tier II indicators that UN Women is responsible for;
- Contributes to the development and regular maintenance of the SDGs data portal;
- Responsible for the annual production of the SDGs Gender Chart and prepare customized data reports for of UN Women’s SDGs-related monitoring work;
- Prepare UN Women’s contributions to the annual UN Secretary-General’s monitoring report.
Contribute to the production of UN Women’s SDGs monitoring report:
- Conduct data analysis for UN Women’s SDGs reports, including conducting background research and applying cutting edge statistical modeling and other quantitative techniques, including to fill data gaps and forecast trends;
- Provide quality research and data relevant to the various publications, including the statistical annexes, including technical notes, statistical references, definitions and others;
- Ensure that data are presented in ways that are accessible and attractive to non-technical audiences in all publications with colleagues of the Research and Data (R&D) section;
- Carry-out background cross-national and country specific research, including literature reviews related to the reports’ themes;
- Identify potential authors of background papers and other research materials for the analytical parts of the reports; assist in commissioning and coordinating their work where requested and comment on their draft papers;
- Participate technically in proof-reading, data-checking and provide comments on draft chapters and sections of the reports as required, including, if possible, proof-reading of translated text in languages other than English.
Establish, strengthen and maintain relationships to facilitate data and metadata exchange with data providers, including national statistical offices:
- Develop partnerships with NSOs, Regional Commissions, UN agencies and other data collecting organizations in order to present a wide range of relevant data on gender equality and women’s rights to contribute to the global and thematic monitoring of SDGs, other publications and other associated communications materials;
- Contribute technically to technical inter-agency discussions related to SDGs indicators and monitoring;
- Provide technical contributions in Statistical Data and Metadata Exchange (SDMX) discussions and capacity building projects;
- Represent UN Women in inter-agency statistical forums as needed.
Contribute to the overall implementation of the Flagship Programme Initiative “Making Every Woman and Girl Count (MEWGC)”:
- Draft technical and guidance notes for use by the project teams of MEWGC;
- Provide technical support to project teams, including supporting and providing comments on statistical products such as questionnaires, survey design, indicator production and statistical analysis;
- Contribute to methodological research with regard to standards on concepts, definitions and classifications to assist project teams in strengthening their statistical development;
- Keep abreast of emerging statistical techniques to improve UN Women’s analytical capacity in the area of gender statistics;
- Maintain and regularly update links to projects on gender statistics including projects and initiatives that do not involve UN Women to ensure adequate coordination;
- Provide statistical support to UN Women’s policy and programme divisions and perform other tasks, as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality research and analysis which leads to strong reports;
- Timely and quality support to partners in the field as well as other divisions in UN Women;
- Quality inputs to reports, such as in layout and content;
- Quality inputs to technical inter-agency discussions which lead to improved monitoring of SDGs;
- Quality analysis which leads to improved implementation of MEWGC.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Core Competencies:
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent knowledge of statistical software, including STATA, R and advanced Excel is a must;
- Excellent analytical and research skills;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Good understanding of and commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment and its policy implications;
- Good knowledge and use of computer office tools (Word, referencing software, databases, spreadsheets, web content production, filing);
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and in a cooperative and productive fashion both with internal and external colleagues;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, and ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environments; ability to build and promote partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects whilst maintaining high-quality and timeliness;
- Knowledge of UN Women.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree (or equivalent) in development related disciplines, gender, economics, statistics, development or other social science fields.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of gender statistics or related area;
- Strong familiarity with the SDGs;
- Proven experience in designing analyses of, and gathering and presenting data and statistics;
- Substantial experience of working with international datasets in the field of gender statistics;
- Experience conducting methodological research on gender statistics a strong asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is a strong asset.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*