Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Programme Officer and in close collaboration with the MOSYA and YPA, the Project Manager will assume the following tasks:
Planning, implementation and monitoring
- Responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the project starting with the preparation of the annual work plans and ensuring their timely implementation;
- Leads the support to MOSYA and YPA Project team (project staff and consultants) and works closely with the MOSYA and YPA for the implementation of the project planned activities;
- Provides leadership and an overall strategic vision with a view to building national capacities, for strategic planning to support the overarching objectives of the project;
- Builds solid relationships with key national partners supported by the project;
- Ensures systematic and effective analysis, monitoring and evaluation, including the preparation and participation in Project Board and/or other related meetings;
- Directly supervises project staff and provides effective leadership;
- Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified, submit new risks to the project board for consideration, provide advice on mitigation strategies if required and update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
- Prepare all required project reports (quarterly, annual, and other specific requested reports);
- Prepare all required documentation for the project board meetings ;
- Prepare for the project’s evaluation and;
- Develop the project exit plan.
Financial and Administrative management of the project
- Prepare and implement the annual project budget and the recruitment and procurement plan;
- Mobilize personnel, goods and services, training and initiate activities, including drafting terms of reference and work specifications and facilitating all contractors’ work;
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection of MOSYA and YPA project consultants;
- Monitor and synergize the performance of the project’s staff and experts;
- Monitor the budgets of the project;
- Assist the implementing partner in fulfilling the responsibilities of the project and budget monitoring, using best practices;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial reports of the project and that all financial and budgetary processes are in accordance with UNDP standards and procedures and submitting financial reports to UNDP on a quarterly basis;
- Perform regular financial reporting to the project board on quarterly basis;
- Prepare annual financial report.
Capacity building and Knowledge building
- Follow-upon the implementation of the capacity development needs assessment and priorities of the MOSYA and YPA staff relevant to the project, with special focus on strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation functions;
- Develop and support the implementation of a capacity building plan to address those needs;
- Act as a recourse person for Building the capacity of the designated relevant MOSYA and YPA team members on project management, monitoring and evaluation with effective training in line with UNDP procedures and regulations;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing activities within and between MOSYA and YPA and other relevant counterparts;
- Ensure the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project;
- Actively participates in UNDP knowledge networks and takes advantage of best practices and lessons learned that are available in the region and globally for the benefit of the project and the national counterparts.
Follow up, coordination
- Coordinate all tasks between UNDP and the implementing partner pertaining to the sub-projects requested by the MOSYA and YPA;
- Perform stakeholders’ analysis as required;
- Coordinate and follow up with deferent departments within MOSYA and YPA to guarantee the synergy of all administrative processes relevant to the project;
- Coordinate and follow up with local and foreign entities relevant to the project’s activities;
- Develop and implement a stakeholders communications plan;
- Any other tasks/assignment relevant to subject of the consultancy.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Knowledge Management and Learning, and Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office through personal example;
- Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally;
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Strong IT and office software use skills;
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems, and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters’ degree in development related disciplines;
- The Project Management Professional (PMP)® Certification, Prince 2 or other Programme Management related certification is an advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of proven practical experience in management of similar projects, 5 of which with international organizations (UNDP and others) is advantage;
- Experience in working with government institutions in GCC countries/Arab region and UN, is an added advantage;
- Experience in administering budgets, training and working effectively with counterparts at all levels and with all groups involved in the project.
- Written and spoken proficiency in both Arabic and English are required.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*