Purpose of the role:
Based in the region, the Senior Analyst will research and produce reports on security, political, legal, governance, human rights and social issues related to Afghanistan.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues of Afghanistan;
- Provides written analyses on the key issues;
- Prepares detailed reports, briefing papers and derivative products (op eds, blogs, short notes) setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations in concise and clear fashion;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and non-governmental stakeholders to address the underlying issues;
- Advocates, both locally, nationally and internationally, when appropriate, and represents Crisis Group at events, meetings and in media interviews;
- Provides general support to the Project and/or Program Director with respect to current and future Crisis Group activities and projects in the region;
- Supervises a small research team.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience. Master’s degree an asset;
- Three to five years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism in the region;
- Proven excellent writing skills and the ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to propose policy interventions;
- Extensive knowledge of key issues in Afghanistan;
- Expertise covering governance issues, security sector reforms and institution building;
- Ability to build strong relationships with governmental and non-governmental officials and institutions, media and civil society in Afghanistan and region;
- Affinity in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters and management of a small team;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of local languages advantageous;
- Excellent communication skills, including good public presentation skills;
- A very strong capacity for effective teamwork and ability to work with supervisors and colleagues;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often challenging environment.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*