Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Senior Director of the Center for Insights and Survey Research (CISR) will lead and coordinate IRI’s global public opinion research portfolio. This entails 1) providing support and guidance to regional program divisions to ensure that quantitative and qualitative public opinion research meet IRI standards of methodological design, implementation, analysis and publication and 2) participating in the Institute’s thought leadership efforts to identify new and applicable methods of conducting public opinion research, analyze thematic or cross-country public opinion trends, and provide overall leadership in developing IRI’s expertise in this arena.
- Minimum 10 years’ professional experience in survey research in the context of politics, international development and government or a related field.
- Graduate degree (preferred) in political science, economics, international relations or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methods, particularly in developing country contexts.
- Advanced understanding of survey methods and analysis, including probability sampling and multivariate analysis.
- Experience with data visualization techniques, platforms and software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and editing experience. Must have excellent presentation skills and the ability to articulate a persuasive argument to a variety of stakeholders, large and small group settings.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency with software for statistical analysis such as SPSS, STATA and/or R.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and promote efforts of other professionals.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Establishes and refines core standards for IRI’s public opinion research work, as needed. This could include: revising IRI’s standard questions, establishing uniform demographic definitions including age ranges, education and income levels, identifying sampling guidance to help IRI track priority issues and demographic subgroups, etc.
- Adapts IRI’s policies and processes related to public opinion research as needed, and ensures Institute staff are informed.
- Provides direction and guidance to IRI staff including managers to ensure compliance with internal procedures and clearance requirements.
- Provides guidance to IRI staff when developing projects that include quantitative and qualitative research elements to ensure activities reflect intended outcomes and goals.
- Provides direction for IRI staff as to the potential use of new research tools, including on-line research for certain projects, depending on locality and feasibility, mobile research, etc.
- Oversees the selection of international and local polling and FGD experts, including consultants
- Oversees design and implementation of IRI quantitative and qualitative research to ensure compliance with IRI and/or international standards.
- Reviews and approves polling presentations and related analysis to ensure that they meet IRI standards for content, accuracy and style.
- Coordinates with IRI staff and External Affairs on public releases and associated information that will be made available to the public.
- Ensures that all documents related to IRI’s public opinion research, including raw datasets, are uploaded to IRI’s internal databases.
- Analyzes IRI public opinion research for global trends and issue-specific data. Uses IRI data as well as externally produced research to produce global and/or cross-regional analysis of global trends and produce written materials.
- Conducts proactive outreach to stakeholders and other institutions in the international public opinion research space to identify areas of synergies. Identifies and seek opportunities to participate in events and initiatives including public speaking events and global conferences.
- Represents IRI at external events.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*