UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Created by UN Women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners, crafting and implementing a shared vision of gender equality that will benefit all of humanity. For more information, visit http://www.heforshe.org/en
Getting to a world where women and men are equal is not just a matter of bringing men to the cause. The goals of HeForShe are much bigger: systematic, structural change that will equalize the economic, social and political realities for women and men. IMPACT 10x10x10 is a flagship programme of HeForShe developed as a -five year pilot effort to advance and ultimately achieve gender equality and women’s empowerment through top-down change, engaging global leaders across three sectors: government, the private sector, and academia.
Many of our IMPACT Champions have now delivered upon their commitments and as part of the second year report launch HeForShe would like to share these proven practices with other entities. In this context, HeForShe is looking for a Creative Business Writer to provide in depth analysis around the Issue, Cause, Effect, Impact and Lessons pertaining to each solution.
The successful incumbent will require both analytical skills (to capture the hard data), communications skills (to capture the human story) while also being an extremely talented writer - with a knack for crafting compelling content while balancing style and substance. This is an ideal position for a hardworking, attentive, and outgoing individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegial workplace learning from, with, among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conduct a desk review of all existing information and formulate case studies
- Leverage background and experience in management consulting to draft a template for the case studies that would convey relevant information in a compelling and professional manner (should incorporate infographics, narrative, timelines and lessons and convey them in a succinct manner)
- Define clear quality thresholds and requirements that need to be met to be considered for inclusion in the final case study
2. Map existing assets and convey requirements to stakeholders
- Working with the HeForShe IMPACT 10x10x10 Programme Manager, liaise with our partners to map out the existing content and ensure delivery of any additional information that would be required
3. Produce, manage and deliver upon an integrated project schedule for finalisation of all case studies
- Prepare an integrated project schedule that clearly articulates when each stage of the case study development process will be completed outlining dependencies and ensuring ample lead times for external stakeholders
- Share updates of progress on a periodic basis, highlighting any risks and support required from the HeForShe team
4. Draft case studies in collaboration with the HeForShe team
- Research, interview, write, edit and craft compelling case studies that stand up to rigorous evaluation reflecting feedback from the HeForShe team and our stakeholders
- Align the message conveyed by each case study with other media utilised to highlight the successful delivery of commitments made under IMPACT 10x10x10
1. Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
2. Core Competencies:
Ethics and Values:
- Promoting ethics and integrity / creating organisational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
Development and Innovation:
- People / coaching and mentoring; building staff competence
Work in teams:
- Building and promoting effective teams
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organisation
Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements:
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organisation and setting standards
Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning:
- Sharing knowledge across the organisation and building a culture of knowledge across the organisation and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking
3. Functional Competencies:
- Strategic vision and strong analytical capabilities
- Sound political judgement and highly developed inter-personal skills
- Good knowledge of UN System
- Experience in areas related to gender issues
- Takes charge of self-development and takes initiative.
- Stays composed and positive in difficult moments, handles tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and has a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certfications:
- An advanced degree in Communications, Creative Writing, Human Resources, Economics, Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, or another related field.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- Professional Change Management certification is an asset.Project Management certification (i.e. PMP, PRINCE2, MSP) is an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years’ relevant creative writing experience (including business case studies, white papers, and articles) in a change management, organisation development, management consulting or business transformation context is required.
- Deep familiarity of organisational change approaches, methods and tools is an asset.
- Experience in project management including project planning, stakeholder management, risk analysis, monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a global or international organisation is an asset
- Fluency in oral and demonstrably superior writing skills in English is required
- Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*