Founded in 1983, the Red Cross EU Office (RCEU) is a partnership between 29 National Red Cross Societies in the EU/EEA (EUNS) and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
RCEU helps to coordinate relations between its members and EU decision-makers and stakeholders, sharing their extensive experiences and expertise in supporting vulnerable people and communities within and outside the EU. Based on our members’ practical insights and technical experience, we promote the dignity and wellbeing of vulnerable people by facilitating and voicing common positions and recommendations towards the EU and its Member States. We also scrutinise European developments that could impact the implementation of our members’ work, as well as supporting them to elaborate and coordinate joint proposals to access EU funding.
For more information please visit www.redcross.eu. You can also connect with us via Facebookand Twitter.
Working as part of the Red Cross EU Office team, the Head of International Development will lead and direct the Development Unit in activities related to international development cooperation, including policy, advocacy, resource mobilisation, membership support and capacity building.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director, the Head of International Development will contribute to:
- Ensure regular and effective consultation and dialogue with National Red Cross Societies and the
- Federation Secretariat in order to guide approach and priorities in relation to EU development cooperation policies;
- Identify key external partners and opportunities for dialogue, collaboration and advocacy at EU level;
- Lead the development of relevant briefing papers, guidance notes and policy recommendations for EUNS and IFRC;
- Explore EU funding opportunities for scaling up development programming, and contribute to the development of funding proposals;
- Connect EU-related development activities to RCRC global initiatives, activities and forums;
- Contribute to increasing the visibility of members’ development programmes and best practices in the field through public communications;
- Ensure timely and regular information-sharing with members on EU development funding, policies and practices, and ensure the unit’s contribution to internal reporting;
- Set the goals, tasks and priorities of the members of the Development Unit (currently 3 senior advisors).
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in international relations or related subject.
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in the context of development cooperation;
- Experience/knowledge of EU processes and working mechanisms;
- Experience/knowledge in building and maintaining relationships with external partners;
- Demonstrable experience of successfully leading and managing a team;
- Experience with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, including time in the field and/or with a National Red Cross Society – preferred.
- Familiarity with EU overall framework for humanitarian and development cooperation;
- Solid understanding of current development cooperation context and trends;
- Excellent skills in analytical and strategic thinking; policy development;
- Self-organised, with ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Excellent communication skills and computer literate;
- Excellent relationship building skills; ability to build and strengthen internal and external networks, and establish effective partnerships with National Red Cross Societies.
- Fluent spoken and written English;
- Good command of at least another working language (especially French/German);
- Other EU languages are an advantage.
Terms and Conditions
Permanent Belgian working contract, full time position of 38 hours per week. The monthly gross salary falls within the grade D1 category and ranges between EUR 3,900 to EUR 4,500 depending on experience. We further offer an attractive compensation and benefits package.
Please send your CV (max two pages) and a cover letter (max one page) in English by midnight CET, 5 June 2017. The file names must include the job title and your full name. The email subject must include the position name only. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The starting date will be discussed with the selected candidate.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*