The Senior Program Officer (SPO) will be responsible for strategies to ensure acceleration of family planning programs in BMGF priority countries in alignment with the goals of FP2020. The SPO will strategically develop and manage a portfolio of contracts and grants to successfully shape and develop investments that increase demand, improve quality and ensure sustainability of family planning services.
- Partner with key stakeholders in the family planning field at the global level and in priority countries to advance the foundation’s FP strategy to achieve FP2020 goals as critical pathway to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Manage 3-5 person team. Effectively hire (as needed), develop and retain talent needed to achieve team’s goals. Drive culture of high performance.
- Build and manage relationships with critical external stakeholders - especially UNFPA, FP2020 Secretariat and its core conveners, donors and ministries of health to support program objectives.
- Work collaboratively with FP team and other foundation teams to ensure that the country initiative is accelerating progress in alignment with the program strategy and theories of action.
- Develop, manage, and support a portfolio of complex grants and contracts requiring high-level partner management and finance skills to evaluate results-based performance objectives.
- Conduct thorough analyses of grants and contracts including progress reports for grantees, grants analysis, briefing documents and portfolio reviews; synthesize and document results and lessons to leadership. Manage internal processes and portfolio progress while ensuring appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting.
- Review letters of inquiry & grant proposals; provide clear, concise & insightful written analyses & recommendations for funding including drafting & editing proposal summaries & progress reports for existing grants for review by Foundation leadership
- Consult with grantees and other partners to maximize impact of projects and ensure optimal learning. This may include conducting site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key stakeholders.
- Develop a dashboard/scorecard to monitor and report on performance and be able to use data to problem solve, adjust and modify the execution plan to achieve success.
- Report on progress monthly and document achievements and challenges for the foundation and global community, write communication briefs and provide updates as needed. Closely collaborate with the divisions across the foundation including: Program Related Investment, Life Sciences Partnerships, Integrated Delivery, Integrated Development, Family Health, and Global Policy and Advocacy.
- Advanced degree preferred and minimum 12 plus years of experience in sexual and reproductive health programs with a focus on family planning.
- Strong management experience leading and directing a group of highly talented and motivated team members.
- Experience shaping team-wide goals, assessing performance against goals and making associated resource allocation decisions.
- Experience in developing strategy and developing innovative/disruptive approaches to improve access to family planning services.
- Passion for critical thinking, and developing creative/disruptive approaches to analyze and solve problems that block progress.
- Experience working in country in the family planning field with close relationships and an excellent network within donor-dependent countries.
- Strong record of engagement with major donors (e.g. USAID, UNFPA, DFID) and country level familiarity with funding and planning process, goal setting, implementation and evaluation of activities.
- Experience with a product launch or scale up of a product, preferably within donor-dependent countries.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking paired with an ability to develop scale up in the context of a complex portfolio of activities and an evolving political environment.
- Execution skills complemented by expertise in strategic planning, financial analysis, marketing analysis, monitoring and evaluation. Familiarity with inventory management, supply chains and logistics management and information systems.
- Health policy and financing knowledge; proficiency in understanding/use of data to inform strategy, make investments and monitor progress.
- Experience with development of innovative financing agreements, managing the post-transaction fulfillment process, and managing overall partnership agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders and teams including elected officials, bureaucrats, public health specialists, business analysts, program implementers and developing country stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate with a broad and diverse audience.
- Excellent listening skills and empathy.
- Recognized internally and externally by the global professional community as an expert within a particular specialized field or niche.
- Ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results in a fast paced and complex environment.
- Patience and ability to negotiate and manage within complex bureaucratic systems, including successful practice of decision hygiene and a range of conflict management skills.
- Ability to assess and manage the risks inherent in complex bodies of work.
- Ability to inspire and lead a diverse team of high functioning partners, including both internal and external staff and stakeholders focused on both strategic and tactical tasks in a variety of systems and at a variety of levels.
- Experience in developing and managing strong partnerships and relationships inside and outside the organization, managing conflicts, and building consensus. Interactions involve very senior decision makers within organization.
- Ability to question and challenge colleagues including managers, partners, and clients in constructive manner. Works with efficiency and diplomacy.
- Must have a prior track record of success.
- Ability to travel up to 40% domestically and internationally.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*