Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. In collaboration with more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Research Officer contributes to a variety of TI research processes and products, in particular the Global Corruption Barometer (GCB). S/he provides research, administrative and organisational support to the team of Research Advisors. This includes responding to requests of National Chapters, other teams within the TI Secretariat and external inquiries. In addition, s/he also delivers small-scale research support projects him/herself.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until May 2018, with the possibility of extension subject to confirmation of funding
Job grade: II
- Support the team of Research Advisors in the delivery of specific research products, in particular the Global Corruption Barometer (GCB), through background research, fact checking, document review/editing, quantitative data analysis/cleaning etc.;
- Conduct background research and scoping studies on relevant research issues;
- Deliver small-scale research support projects, under the supervision of the Research Advisors team;
- Support the organization of workshops, meetings and other events;
- Support effective financial management of the team by compiling budgets, preparing contracts, processing payments etc.;
- Respond to/coordinate responses to external queries about research products, data etc.;
- Support fundraising activities (incl. identification of potential donors, drafting of concept notes, support for donor meetings, etc.).
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, economics, political science, or other relevant fields;
- 2/3+ years of professional work experience in a relevant field;
- Very good knowledge and experience of survey research methodologies and techniques, including questionnaire design, data cleaning and data analysis;
- Excellent understanding of, and confidence using, statistics and numerical data, with excellent attention to detail;
- Solid knowledge of a major statistical software package (STATA or SPSS) as well as MS Office (MS Excel) and related applications;
- Desk research skills on issues relevant to corruption, transparency and accountability;
- Excellent analytical abilities coupled with solid writing, editing and communications skills, particularly in making research accessible to diverse audiences;
- Strong organisational skills; experience in project management, including budgeting and donor financial reporting and monitoring & evaluation research desirable;
- Previous fundraising experience an asset;
- Professional language proficiency in English; additional languages, in particular French and/or Spanish, an asset;
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently;
- Commitment to Transparency International’s values.
Other information about the post and the location:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*