Classification: National Officer, Grade NO-C
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing date: 15 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) and the overall guidance of the Regional Director of the IOM Regional Office for the European Economic Area, the European Union and the NATO (RO Brussels), the incumbent will be responsible for supervising and coordinating the EU budget and reporting functions of RO Brussels and for providing technical assistance to IOM Missions worldwide in order to strengthen financial and contractual compliance of EU funded projects implemented by IOM.
- In coordination with the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer, perform global EU liaison functions on financial, contractual and audit matters and enhance worldwide financial reporting legal and administrative compliance of IOM vis-à-vis the European Union Institutions, as well as regarding EU funding channelled through the EU Member States;
- Actively participate in IOM’s negotiations with the various EC services with regards to the EU-IOM Framework Administrative/Partnership Agreements on financial, contractual and administrative conditions of IOM’s implemented EU–funded actions;
- Directly coordinate with relevant Units at Headquarters and IOM Administrative Centres, as well as relevant external counterparts with regard to EU compliance (financial, contractual, audit) matters as and when required;
- Act as primary focal point of RO Brussels for external verification/audit exercises announced by the EU Institutions in Brussels. Guide IOM’s missions worldwide throughout the entire audit process, coordinate provision of information and documentation as and when required, resolve complex matters;
- Coordinate the work of the EU budget and reporting functions of RO Brussels;
- Ensure appropriate technical assistance is being provided to Country missions and ROs worldwide on EU funding related financial, contractual and administrative subjects to ensure that IOM rules and procedures are applied consistently while also adhering to the EC rules and regulations;
- Monitor the implementation of contractual obligations towards the EC regarding EC centrally funded projects. Take appropriate steps, in coordination with relevant HQ units, to ensure that regular and timely reporting for EU funded projects is observed by the missions worldwide;
- Ensure effective and timely compliance check of all budgets and financial reports submitted to EC centrally. Review requests for payment to be submitted to EU institutions and coordinate the authorization according to the rules and procedures;
- Actively contribute to the legal advisory function on matters related to the correct interpretation of the provisions of EU institutions and the EC-IOM Framework Administrative/ Partnership Agreement;
- Supervise liaison function with IOM’s Legal Unit to ensure EU financial and legal rules are properly reflected in IOM’s contracts if and when required;
- Regularly check and timely analyse the issuance of new Commission Financial and Administrative Decisions and monitor the EU financial regulations, its implementation rules and practical guide and keep SRRMO updated about any change that can impact IOM;
- Supervise the regular update of the on-line databases/registration services required by the different EC Directorate Generals and containing information (mainly legal and financial ones) about the Organization;
- Participate in official meetings and discussions on EU funding related contractual and financial matters including treasury issues with the donors, and other international organizations;
- Facilitate knowledge management within IOM on EU funding related financial, contractual and audit matters, organize and deliver training sessions, develop internal guidelines and materials and undertake duty travels related to training sessions and project funded monitoring visits as required;
- Supervise the budget preparation, financial and administrative implementation and reporting of all projects directly managed and implemented by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) and the Migration Health Unit (MHU) of RO Brussels;
- Review payroll projectisation of RO Brussels and ensure that salaries are correctly allocated to projects and consistent with IOM's rules and procedures;
- Act as replacement of the SRRMO in case of his/her absence;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum five years of relevant professional experience;
- Bachelor degree in the above fields with minimum seven years of relevant professional experience.
Professional certification such as ACCA, Certified (Internal) Auditor, Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
- Minimum five years (or seven years for candidates holding a Bachelor degree) of relevant professional experience in business administration, accounting, financial reporting budget tracking and audit;
- Experience with EU funding instruments and EU contractual aspects as well as related financial rules and procedures;
- At least three years of experience in liaising with EU Institutions as well as other national, regional and international counterparts;
- Experience in developing/following internal control procedures to promote sound financial management and strengthen internal controls;
- Experience in developing and delivering trainings to diverse audiences on institutional and donor’s financial and contractual compliance is an advantage;
- Advanced reporting skills. Ability to identify, review and adjust a variety of data;
- Experience in managing staff;
- High level of computer literacy, in particular in Excel and computerized accounting systems. Knowledge of SAP is an advantage;
- Familiarity with International Accounting Standards (IAS) and/or International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts;
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable;
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to [email protected] by 15 August 2017, 6:00 PM at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
To download Personal History Form please click here.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*