The Global Fund for Children (GFC) advances the dignity of children and youth around the world through small grants to community-based organizations working with vulnerable children and youth. To date, GFC has provided $34 million in grants to more than 400 community organizations in 75 countries. GFC also provides support to its grantee partners in areas such as organizational development, leveraging of additional funding, and sharing of knowledge. Since 1997, GFC has reached nearly 10 million children
and youth worldwide.
SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF WORK
The Global Fund for Children is seeking a full-time Program Officer, Advocacy and Movement Building, to work with a dynamic global team focused on improving the lives of children and youth through strategic grantmaking and capacity building.
The Program Officer will substantially contribute to a new three-year initiative designed to ensure that adolescent migrant girls in Mexico, Guatemala, and the U.S.-Mexico border regions have a platform to exercise their agency and that grassroots organizations strengthen programs structured to meet their needs as well as spark movements to advocate on behalf of adolescent girls rights in the region. The Global Fund for Children will employ its model to find, fund, and invest in grassroots organizations and will also foster collaboration and raise attention to the needs of adolescent girls in migration. Migration brings both opportunities and risks for girls from Mexico and Central America, yet much more effort can be made to ensure that services for protection, education and integration reflect the specific experiences, needs and diversity of girls on the move. The Program Officer will support grassroots organizations identified by GFC to advocate on the issues girls face in migration in the region while contributing to creating a platform for girl-led action on the issues that affect their lives before, during and after migration.
This position will part of the Americas team, it will focus on the Mexico and Central America region and will also serve as a contributor and thought partner across regions and issue areas to inform strategic thinking and grantmaking in support of advocacy and movement building efforts among grantee partners worldwide. In particular, the Program Officer will help GFC incorporate a gender-sensitive approach to relevant programming that elevates the voices and experiences of girls and young women engaged in social change advocacy efforts.
Movement Building and Advocacy Expertise: (60%)
- Build knowledge of the program staff, particularly for the Americas about effective approaches to both supporting and engaging in movement building and advocacy that advances the rights and opportunities of girls.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of capacity building services related to movement building and advocacy for grassroots partners, including convenings, leadership and organizational development.
- Collaborate with Mexico City-based consultant and Americas team to identify grassroots organizations in Mexico, Guatemala and the US with the ability and interest to elevate the issues migrating adolescent girls experience and foster girl-led networks and organizing on this issue.
- Develop strong relationships and participate in meetings and events with US-based organizations and networks involved in elevating the issue of migration with a focus on girls.
- Track and inform team of current research, trends and policies that affect migration and girls in target region.
- Contribute to materials and messaging for GFC’s public education efforts related to the needs and voice of adolescent girls and migration.
Strategy and Learning: (20%)
- Contribute to strategic thinking and program development across all portfolios related to funding and building capacity of organizations engaged in advocacy and movement building efforts in order to expand and improve GFC’s grantmaking in these areas.
- Identify and conduct cross-team learning with other regions at GFC supporting grassroots
- partners working on migration-related issues.
- Design processes to capture learning and impact for advocacy and movement building efforts.
- Provide input to produce high quality qualitative and quantitative information on movement building and advocacy impact.
Project Management: (20%)
- Ensure the timely and high-quality completion of project deliverables and reports and develop means to track these.
- Confer with grantees and consultants to identify opportunities and gather relevant information for specific concepts, reports, communication materials and proposals.
- Participate in meetings and presentations to current and prospective partners, donors, and other stakeholders as required
- Be a key contributor within the Programs team and actively participate in strategic thinking, knowledge management and cross-team collaboration.
Reports to: Regional Director for the Americas, Programs team
- 3-5 years of organizing, advocacy, and/or movement-building experience, ideally in Latin
- America or Latino communities in the US.
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish and English
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with program and strategy development.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Latin America and in particular key facets of women and
- girls’ rights within the region from a feminist perspective.
- Knowledge of a gender approach to issues and ability to articulate the different needs and experiences of girls and boys.
- High emotional intelligence, able to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from
- different backgrounds.
- Strong writing, research and analytic skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability, able to shift styles to fit the needs of various cultures, people, and organizations.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required (~20%).
- Fluency in MS Office applications and ability to learn new programs, including GIFTS online.
- Sense of humor.
- Love of continuous learning.
- Engagement with capacity building, training and/or grantmaking efforts.
- Knowledge of social outcome monitoring as related to advocacy and movement building.
- Experience with migration or related issues in Latin America or in Latino communities in the US.
- Youth engagement experience, particularly with girls.
- Previous living, working or studying experience in the global south (ideally in Latin America).
To apply, please send a concise cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae and salary requirements in one PDF submitted in English with “Program Officer, Movement Building and Advocacy” in your subject line by August 31st, 2017. No phone calls please.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*