RFE/RL is seeking a visual journalist to join the Central Newsroom’s digital unit. The candidate will bring stories from our broadcast region to life, through graphics, data, and/or code, whether the topic is breaking news, or a long-term package. S/he will create visual content such as news graphics, data visualizations, and microsites. The candidate will be expected to regularly pitch their own stories, relevant to RFE/RL’s broadcast region and mission.
This is a hybrid editorial/design role, so the ideal candidate has a minimum of 2 years working on visual storytelling projects for digital news media organizations.
- Create online visual content such as news graphics/videos, interactives, longform storytelling projects, and design elements for feature content.
- Works closely with writers, editors and other designers to create visual projects under tight deadlines.
- Be able to handle visual projects from pitch to publishing on RFE/RL’s digital platforms.
- Versed in social media best practices, such as appropriate sizes of visual content on Facebook, and Twitter.
- Stay current on latest digital storytelling methods.
- A portfolio that supports a minimum of 2 years of professional experience at a news organization in a visual journalism capacity.
- Sharp editorial acumen, and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with current events and the news cycle in RFE/RL’s broadcast region.
- Highly motivated and well-organized with the ability to generate original ideas consistently.
- Excellent teamwork and the ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision.
- Expertise in graphic design using programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience publishing on social media platforms, especially on Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience with CMSes.
Nice To Have, But Not Required
- Front-end web development and data visualization skills utilizing:
- Static site generation, using build tools such as Gulp, Webpack or Grunt
- Responsive web design
- Visualization libraries such as D3
- Experience with motion graphics and video storytelling using tools such as Adobe After Effects.
- Fluency in another language from RFE/RL’s broadcast region.
- Educated in Graphic Design, Coding, Journalism or a related field (BA Bachelor degree desirable).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*