Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located within the Strategy, Evaluation and Partnership Section, of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA). The Programme Officer reports directly to the Chief of the Section and will be under the general supervision of the Deputy Executive Secretary for Programme.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Supports the implementation of ESCWA’s Evaluation Policy through the design and management of strategic, normative, thematic and cross-cutting evaluations, and the articulation of recommendations and action plans;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information and data gathered from diverse sources to senior management;
- Undertakes strategic and substantive review of relevant documents and reports, identifies problems and issues to be addressed, prepares risk analysis and proposes evaluation frameworks including logical results models and indicators of achievement;
- Manages the deliverables of evaluation consultants and applies global best practices and quality assurance mechanisms to the implementation of all normative and project evaluations at ESCWA, and ensures follow-up and monitoring on the adoption and operationalization of recommendations;
- Proposes adjustments and refinements to ESCWA's evaluation guidelines and templates in line with best practices, with a view to ensuring ESCWA relevance in the global, regional and national debate.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends in the Arab region Prepares research activities and studies; Reviews, analyzes and interprets responses; and Identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Uses qualitative and quantitative research methods to organize and prepare written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, including the Regional Coordination Mechanism, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; and monitors and analyses the research and operational work of major partners and stakeholders in the region;
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex advisory missions, and attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions;
- Substantively contributes to ESCWA inter-disciplinary committees and taskforces, including the Publications Committee, the Project Committee, the SDG Taskforce among others;
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme management and evaluation. Experience in programme and project evaluation and full fluency in results based management. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent development research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources and methods, including qualitative and quantitative research. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the social or political sciences, including development, economics, sociology or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. PhD or equivalent is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, or related area. Experience in Results Based Management or evaluation is required. Demonstrated experience in socio-economic development research and analysis is desirable. Familiarity with the development challenges in the Arab region is desirable. At least 4 years of experience in evaluations is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Arabic is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*