The Senior Policy Associate will maintain relations and coordinate activities with the European Parliament, NGOs, other UN agencies, in order to promote/implement UNHCR’s objectives and activities.
The incumbent will perform under direct supervision of the Senior Policy Officer of the Policy & Legal Support Unit (PLUS) of the Bureau for Europe in Brussels. S/he will receive regular guidance and advice from the supervisor on successive steps. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff in PLUS, including the Head of Unit.
The incumbent will have the authority to propose which key contacts/counterparts to approach and which activities to prioritize for policy/advocacy initiatives and implement all aspects of an outreach and advocacy strategy involving the European Parliament, NGOs and other key actors as well as develop relations with the European Parliament, NGOs and key agencies based in Brussels.
MAIN TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop effective and dynamic networks with key contacts in the European Parliament, NGO sector, EU agency liaison offices and other key actors at EU-Level;
- Assist in managing and develop relationships and programmes with NGO Partners based in Brussels;
- Assist in the development of policy and initiatives on identified priority issues such as family reunification, integration etc. and monitor the development of these policies and practices;
- Report quickly to keep colleagues abreast of key developments at EU level and assist communications colleagues in the development of lines on key issues;
- Organise and implement seminars or training programmes for target groups (key officials, parliamentarians etc.);
- Assist in the preparation of high level missions to Brussels including through drafting speeches, talking points and background materials;
- Draft speeches, talking points and other materials for senior colleagues participating in events in Brussels or elsewhere on EU-related matters;
- Respond to queries from the European Parliament, NGOs, individuals, etc. and provide the information required or appropriately refer the queries elsewhere;
- Advance protection for persons of concern to UNHCR through advocacy on law, policy and practice;
- Assist in the promotion of accessions to key Conventions and laws by Member States and institutions in the field of asylum and statelessness;
- Assist the Head of PLUS in preparation of statements that represent UNHCR’s overall policies and which highlight specific area of concern, ensuring that the Head of PLUS is prepared for meetings/missions by providing relevant information and establishing contacts;
- Perform other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Education: Completion of secondary school. Additional certificate/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required;
- Six years of prior job experience relevant to the function;
- Fluency in English and French;
- Excellent drafting skills in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Previous experience working in or with UNHCR;
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
Interested candidates are invited to fill in the Personal History (P.11) form which can be obtained at www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc. Completed forms should be submitted by Thursday, August 11th 2017 at 24h00, together with a motivation letter in English to [email protected] with ‘Senior Policy Associate’ in the subject line of the email. Late applications will not be accepted.
Only candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Start date should be as soon as possible.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*