TOKYO-CHUNICHI SHIMBUN NEW YORK BUREAU JOB OPENING
The Tokyo/Chunichi Shimbun, one of the largest daily newspapers published in Japan, is seeking a full-time staff reporter/researcher to assist Japanese correspondents in our New York bureau.
The New York bureau covers news from the US, Canada, and Latin America, with topics ranging from social and economic to political issues, as well as foreign affairs and the United Nations.
We are looking for a resourceful, flexible, and motivated individual with excellent communication skills and attention to detail who can efficiently handle multiple tasks on varying deadlines.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- monitoring and researching social, economic, political and foreign affairs news in the U.S. and Latin America
- coordinating, executing, and transcribing interviews for both short and long-term projects
- gathering news articles and related data
- attending news briefings and covering developments at the United Nations
- organizing logistics for and attending business trips, at times on minimal notice and/or on weekends
- some administrative tasks
Annual baseline compensation before overtime will be approximately $41,280. We offer comprehensive health and dental insurance, and transportation and cellular plan reimbursement. Typical work week hours are from Monday to Friday, 10am-6pm; circumstances may warrant occasional paid overtime as well as business trips that may extend into weekends.
This is a reporting position with no writing or byline opportunities.
START DATE: ASAP
APPLY BY: ASAP
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $41,280.00 /year
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree and native level English fluency.
- Japanese proficiency is also required as the primary language spoken in our office is Japanese.
- Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the U.S.
STRONGLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Spanish language skills
- Experience translating / interpreting between English and Japanese
- Educational or professional background in journalism
- Familiarity with economics, particularly financial markets
Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]