Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Business Development Manager will lead and/or support new business development efforts, from capture planning and bid tracking to proposal development, submission and follow up, particularly for large, priority opportunities. The Business Development Manager will serve in the Capture Manager and Proposal Manager or Proposal Coordinator roles. The Business Development Manager will lead special initiatives aligned with the department’s annual strategy. The Business Development Manager will supervise 1-2 Business Development Associates and/or Business Development Assistants. She/he will work under the supervision and direction of a Business Development Deputy Director.
- Prepare bid overview sheets, tracking of bid – no bid updates, and communicating bid results to technical and programmatic teams;
- As proposal manager, oversee and manage all aspects of the proposal development processes, including:
- Serve as an equal counterpart to the Technical Lead,
- Delineate specific roles and responsibilities with the proposal coordinator, if applicable,
- Manage capture work, including planning, research, partnering, brainstorming and solution design,
- Lead kickoff meetings and preparation of accompanying documents (proposal calendar, outlines, agenda),
- Compile clarification questions,
- Facilitate solution design and storyboarding sessions,
- Lead pink and red team review meetings,
- Maintain relationships with partners,
- Draft proposal pieces including Past Performance, Corporate Capabilities, Staffing and Management Plan, Country Context, and Security Plans,
- Compile inputs from proposal team members, including consultants and partners,
- Ensure responsiveness to and compliance with solicitation documents,
- Manage and oversee competitive range and BAFO responses,
- Conduct after action reviews;
- As Proposal Coordinator, support the Proposal Manager in accordance with duties assigned;
- Work and coordinate with recruiters to help vet candidates, request inputs, and develop project teams, particularly for LTTA, ensuring HR has all the materials and supporting information for contingent hires if applicable;
- Coordinate with other service areas and support units involved in the proposal development;
- Other duties may include providing administrative and logistical support to proposal teams, drafting consulting agreements, managing invoicing and payment of consultants, arranging travel, hotels, visas, and insurances for team members.
- As Capture Manager, conduct research for capture, including analyzing competition and potential partners, background information on the client and current implementation efforts, country context, and other on-the-ground knowledge;
- Leading capture trips;
- Writing and contributing to capture plans;
- Organize and participate in capture trips;
- Outreach to new partners, especially small businesses and local partners.
- Play a key role in Business Development team management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 1-2 Business Development staff, including Associates and/or Assistants;
- Serve as a coach and mentor to assigned staff;
- Provide advice, training, and support on general capture and proposal management; relationship management; recruitment; and pricing;
- Provide oversight to assigned staff’s capture and proposal management responsibilities;
- Conduct goal setting, coaching and performance reviews and appraisals for assigned staff;
- Assess workloads, identifying personnel resource needs through forecasting, and making recommendations to implement resource leveling or hiring decisions;
- Recommend realignment of workload as necessary to optimize high quality service delivery, staff professional development and work life balance.
- Attend and coordinate Business Development opportunities such as domestic partnering meetings, think tank meetings, conferences, university events, career fairs, seminars, and other activities.
Special Initiatives and Other Duties:
- Lead and/or support special initiatives, such as developing market entry strategies for new clients, developing/refining knowledge management tools for the department, and promoting learning and application of best practices;
- Participate and contribute to departmental and companywide strategy development;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 4 years of work or internship experience related to international development, including 2-3 years in proposal development for US Government agencies or other international donor organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including international relations, political science, public affairs, and communications;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong oral & written communications skills;
- Strong technical writing skills;
- Foreign language skills desirable;
- Master’s degree a plus;
- Work or study abroad preferred;
- USAID experience a plus.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*