The United Nations Development Programme is the global development network of the United Nations system that is on the ground in about 170 countries, with its Headquarters in New York, USA. The Bureau for Management Services (BMS) is a central Bureau tasked with the development of corporate strategies, policies, tools and systems in key cross-cutting management areas. Drawing on sound analytics and a risk-management approach, BMS supports the achievement of development results through management advice, innovative business solutions, and other corporate services in line with international best practices and evolving needs and expectations of development partners. BMS also ensures policy adherence in operations management within UN Rules & Regulations, safeguarding UNDP’s accountability vis-à-vis Member States and other stakeholders.
In support of UNDP’s Strategic Plan, the Service Delivery Model adopted by BMS aims to provide more integrated, effective, and customer focused services. The BMS service delivery model calls for integrated, customer-centric, solutions focused, cost efficient, and effective services to clients both internal and external to UNDP. Reporting to the Chief of the Directorate, the Management Specialist coordinates policy (prescriptive content) development, coherence and quality assurance as well as translation of policies and procedures. The Management Specialist also coordinates inputs in UN reform initiatives, including support to follow up of 2016 Quadrennial Comprehensive Policy Review process, United Nations Development Group (UNDG), Chief Executive Board, and High-Level Committee on Management meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination of Policy development and guidance to business process/content owners in the writing and updating of prescriptive content
- Ensure coherence and avoid increase in prescriptive content.
- Coordinate translation of prescriptive content in consultation with regional bureaus and stakeholders.
- Ensure all policies and procedures approved by the Operational Performance Group and the Executive Group are published in the Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) platform in a timely manner.
- Recommend in consultation with policy owners the retirement of POPP content.
Quality Assurance of prescriptive content BMS policy
- Develop, review and update, as necessary, quality criteria for prescriptive content, including readability standards for policy and procedures.
- Review and quality assure new and updated policy content as part of an integrated drafting and publication process.
- Oversee prescriptive content platform in collaboration with the Office of Information Management and Technology to ensure it is publicly accessible and support resolving any usability challenges to the platform.
Support and Coordinate UN Reform initiatives
- Support follow up of 2016 to Quadrennial Comprehensive Policy Review implementation process on behalf of the Bureau to ensure indicators and recommendations on operational areas are addressed.
- Coordinate inputs to the UN Chief Executive Board, United Nations Development Group, High-Level Committee on Management meetings on behalf of the Bureau for Management Services.
- Codification and sharing of knowledge, best practices and lessons learned on development of prescriptive content.
- Develop regular communication of updated and new prescriptive content for UNDP globally.
- Coordinate webinars and other training materials and methods, as appropriate, to communicate new and updated content to country offices.
- Convene the BMS policy network comprised of policy managers and specialists to ensure knowledge exchange.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Ability to reach an understanding, resolve point of difference, or gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to insure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to turn raw information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to stated need
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters or equivalent in development studies, law, international affairs or management discipline; relevant professional certifications in project management, accounting or procurement desirable.
- 7 years of professional experience including in programme and operations quality assurance.
- Experience in drafting and updating of policies and procedures and/or standard operating procedures and toolkits highly desirable.
- Experience in coordination of UN functions at HQ, regional or country level desirable.
- Experience in knowledge management and maintenance of prescriptive content and knowledge management platforms desirable.
- Excellent verbal and drafting skills in English required; knowledge of other UN languages desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*