The position of an Officer, Climate & Sustainable Energies supports local governments throughout Europe in implementing innovative instruments and projects for integrated climate change strategies and planning and sustainable energy management, including climate services related to climate mitigation and adaptation, sustainable energy action planning, carbon monitoring and reporting, and smart city projects. He/she will do this both in the framework of larger projects and consultancy services offered by ICLEI.
The position will also include further tasks, especially associated to project and service acquisition, supervised by and in close cooperation with the line-manager/Deputy Regional Director (DRD). The officer will proactively support the project development, the representative capacity towards European institutions and national governmental structures and institutions and thereby increase visibility and (economic) opportunities in the before-mentioned topical areas.
The position will financially be based on projects and services.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Preparation and implementation of projects in European and – if necessary - non-European countries (in particular in the field of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as sustainable energy management) under supervision of the relevant coordinator;
- Work-planning and process ownership in assigned projects and services including communication with partners and funders;
- Preparation, implementation and facilitation of meetings and workshops related to the topical area and development and implementation of training curricula and materials;
- Further development, promotion and application of ICLEI tools supporting local climate change action (mitigation and adaptation), energy management (including at different scales and sectors) and smart city projects, such as greenhouse gas (GHG)/carbon inventories and energy consumption modelling;
- Implementation of ICLEI services and products in the field of local climate change (mitigation and adaptation), sustainable energy strategies and management and smart city projects, including GHG/carbon inventories and energy consumption modelling;
- Development of guidelines and handbooks related to natural resource management and in particular on local climate change (mitigation and adaptation), energy strategies and management and smart cities;
- Acquisition of projects and service contracts based on current work in coordination with Line-Manager/DRD;
- Support to European advocacy work related to the activities mentioned above.
- Professional experience: Advanced understanding of and practical experience with either climate change mitigation and adaptation and/or sustainable energy (including carbon monitoring and reporting, renewable energies);
- Experience in working with/for local governments in projects or as trainer/consultant. At least two years in a similar position;
- Education: Academic degree in a relevant field (environmental or energy engineering, environmental or sustainability management, climate change ;management, etc.);
- Organisational skills: Proven skills in implementing projects and/or (consulting) service, high communicative competence (orally and in writing), strong writing, presentation and facilitation skills, team player, pro-active working style, ability to work self-organised within a complex working environment;
- Languages: Excellent command of English and one further European language (orally, read and in writing);
- Computing: Practical knowledge of monitoring software (particularly related to climate and energy), experience in MS Excel and other comparable software, use of MS Office.
- Advanced understanding of and practical experience with smart, integrated urban infrastructure;
- Specific expertise in local climate change and sustainable energy processes will be an advantage;
- Experience in developing and implementing training and capacity development activities (particularly for and with local governments);
- Experience in advocacy and policy processes, if possible in European or international contexts;
- Excellent command of French or Spanish (orally, read and in writing).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*