The Legal Advisor will work as part of the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) team where he/she will teach an IHL CLE/professional course; assist with research, writing and analysis on IHL and conflict-related issues; and will support the team in complementing and revising educational materials on IHL to highlight the contemporary relevancy of humanitarian issues. Knowledge of international humanitarian law required and a strong interest in international issues, public international law, human rights and international relations or related fields is essential. This position will report to the Director, International Humanitarian Law.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Lead the IHL CLE/professional training courses in conjunction with volunteer attorneys/IHL legal fellows
- Train volunteer attorneys to deliver IHL CLE/professional training courses
- Maintain CLE accreditation with key states to ensure comprehensive US CLE coverage
- Organize law school workshops in key regional cities/hubs with law school partners
- Lead NHQ hosting of trainings, conferences, meetings, webinars, as required
- Conduct research on IHL and policy-related areas and draft memoranda on relevant issues of IHL as needed for program development
- Track and identify current events and relevance to IHL and prepare updates on developments in IHL
- Draft talking points, backgrounders, potential presentation material to support our IHL networks
- Develop supplemental materials for IHL teaching materials, presentations, other events
- Attend briefings/conferences on IHL-related issues and provide updates of key points to IHL team
- Develop and foster networks for possible partnerships with actors within legal community and external audiences (law schools, faculty, professional associations, etc.)
- Assist with content and messaging for social media tools
- Supervise IHL legal fellows and interns, as needed
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. required. LL.M. preferred; knowledge of international humanitarian law required
- Bar membership required
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- Must have strong training and facilitation skills
- Must have strong drafting and verbal communications skills; legal research and analytical skills; ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities
- Time management skills and the ability to handle heavy workloads and manage competing priorities
- Familiarity with social media tools as a way to communicate developments on IHL to students, professional audiences, and members of the public.
- Must display flexibility, adaptability, initiative and teamwork.
- Must possess strong personal integrity and ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Foreign language skills are desired.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*