IOM currently supports the implementation of ten regional migration programs in Mesoamerica; Haiti and the Dominican Republic; Southern Africa; the Horn of Africa and Yemen; the Greater Mekong Sub-region and Malaysia; China; North Africa; West and Central Africa; Western Balkans; and Central Asia, supported by the United States Department of State. These programs are based on a strategic framework of five pillars: 1) Building capacities to identify and address protection concerns within regional migratory flows; 2) Providing direct assistance to migrants in a situation of vulnerability; 3) Strengthening cooperation and coordination at the regional-level among governments; 4) Promoting coordination with other actors in the region, including UNHCR and other UN agencies; and 5) Strengthening emergency migration management capacities.
This position will strengthen both PRM’s and IOM’s capacity to monitor implementation of these programs and strengthen capacities to better capture, develop, share, and effectively use the knowledge gained through the implementation of these programs. It will support and complement the work currently taking place within the Global Knowledge Management Project, funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, Office of International Migration (PRM-PIM).
Under the direct supervision of the IOM Washington Chief of Mission (CoM), the successful candidate will support the documentation and capture of results among the PRM regional programs, through the development of standard monitoring tools and project monitoring review of select programs. This will enable both PRM and IOM to better respond to challenges in implementation and resolve through improved program design and/or technical support.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Pilot testing the monitoring tools to be developed and correct the monitoring tools accordingly.
2. Train programme coordinators and other IOM staff in the use of the tools developed by the PMO.
3. Provide useful feedback to programme coordinators, based on the results of the monitoring process carried out by the Officer.
4. Conduct a desk review and interviews with the donor and with program coordinators of all regional programs to design a project monitoring review tool, to be used by the regional PMs for project monitoring reports and final summary report.
5. Develop an objective tool/methodology for monitoring the regional programs, in consultation with PRM-PIM and any necessary stakeholders and in coordination with Regional Programme Coordinators.
6. Coordinate a monitoring schedule with Migrant Assistance Division (MAD) Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) and Regional Programme Coordinators, including arrangements for interpreters.
7. Conduct visits based on the tool to up to six regional programs to collect data, including conducting interviews, focus groups and implementing surveys. Interviews should include beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders.
8. Conduct data analysis and consolidate all data into six monitoring reports and one final summary report to be shared internally and with PRM.
9. Liaise with the Geneva-based Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants Unit to ensure synergies and complementarities with the work carried out under the Global Knowledge Management project to strengthen the programs’ Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) capacities.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Work, International Relations, Social Sciences, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Monitoring and Evaluation experience, particularly in the field of migration and its sub-topical issues;
• Data analysis skills, including competencies to use Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), Nvivo and other data analysis software;
• Strong writing skills, with the ability to communicate complex principles and issues in simple terms;
• Good communication skills and the ability to collaborate productively with a variety ofstakeholders;
• Experience with a governmental and/or non-governmental organizations is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*