Under direct supervision of UNDP Assistant Country Director and general guidance of UNDP Technical Specialist, the Project Manager has the authority to run the project on a day-to-day basis on behalf of the Project Board within the constraints laid down by the Board. The Project Manager is responsible for day-to-day management and decision-making for the project. The Project Manager’s prime responsibility is to ensure that the project produces the results specified in the project document, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of the overall project strategy;
- Ensures effective management of the project focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the overall project;
- Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Ensures creation of strategic partnerships;
- Ensures integration of various programmatic functions;
- Decision Making in ongoing interventions;
- Manage various initiatives with Government, Private sector and CSO’s under the project thematic areas.
Implementation of the overall project strategy
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the context of the project as and when appropriate;
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned;
- Project processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
Ensures effective management of the project focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the overall project
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
- Introduction of performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones;
- Coherence and articulation with Environment and Climate Change portfolio, ensuring integration of programme functions in cluster interventions, particularly those related to Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation and environmental management;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of projects;
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported;
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports;
- Support programme management in other practice areas as required
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice. Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues;
- Contribution to knowledge building and policy development in support of the coupling of environmental management and Climate Change adaptation strategies.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships
Development of partnerships with other related organizations, UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on overall outcome of the project strategic goals and donors’ priorities.
Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Decision Making in ongoing interventions
- While carrying out day to day project engagements, the project manager will require to take on spot decisions that are in line with the country office policies and strategies;
- Crucial decision making is required while creating and strengthening partnerships with the private sector, thus generating more resources and enabling new partnerships.
Ensures integration of various programmatic functions
- The National Project Manager will ensure to carry out in depth analysis of the programme at the designing and implementation phase to create synergies and in order to save resources and develop partnerships;
- Various sector collaboration will be ensured through effective planning.
Manage various initiatives with Government, Private sector and CSO’s under the project thematic areas
- The National Project Manager will be required to engage with international/national private entities to develop synergies and generate additional funds.
He/She will also engage local CSO’s in implementation of the projects across Pakistan
- Responsible for day-to-day management, administration and decision-making for the project;
- Oversees planning process for the project and ensures its implementation in accordance with the signed project document;
- Responsible for ensuring that the project produces the results specified in the project document, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost;
- Manage the realization of project outputs through activities;
- Ensures that project contributes to the promotion of gender equality by reaching, involving and benefiting both women and men in its activities (gender mainstreaming);
- Provide direction and guidance to project team(s)/responsible party (ies);
- Identifies partnership strategies with regard to providers of specialized expertise and possible co-financiers, and assists in resource mobilization for project components;
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project;
- Liaise with the donor, project partners, suppliers and beneficiaries when needed;
- Prepare timely reports of project progress in line with UNDP and donor requirements;
- Perform other duties related to the scope of work of the PM as required.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Client Orientation;
- Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science/Climate Change, Project Management, Protected Area Management, Social Sciences or closely related field.
At least 5 years of relevant work experience in project implementation with international organizations and/or projects, in a closely related field.
English required and Urdu desired.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*