The Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications is part of the Public Relations & Corporate Communications unit within the Marketing and Communications Team. The Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications works closely with the Associate Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications to develop external and internal messaging, align organizational identity and branding, and support awareness raising opportunities. The position is based in San Francisco and reports to the Associate Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications who is based in New York.
The Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications is responsible for corporate communications that drive strategic messaging through various channels to reach both internal and external stakeholders. S/he is expected to develop and align messaging across teams and create documents and staff trainings intended to deliver information to internal and external audiences. The Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications is tasked with supporting the development of policies and procedures around communications and branding issues, assisting with identity and crisis management guidance and support across Room to Read’s country offices of operation, regional fundraising offices and global volunteer network. The Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications also serves as the facilitator for internal communications—working with a cross-departmental group to maintain a consistent executive communication voice for Room to Read’s management team.
In addition, the Associate, Public Relations & Corporate Communications works closely with the Associate Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications on awareness raising and reputation building opportunities for the organization globally, with a focus on North America. S/he will contribute to raising Room to Read’s profile among current and new investors, partners and the media through awards & recognition, executive speaking engagements and press coverage.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organization Branding & Messaging (20%): Support the strategic messaging that tells the story behind Room to Read and create consistent messaging documents for both internal and external stakeholders so that all those delivering the message are providing consistent and targeted communication. Execute process and plan to update and share key messaging materials annually across all offices, along with other materials as needed, so that key worldwide messaging is accurate, consistent and effective across the organization. Additionally, provide introductory materials and training about global communication and branding to new staff and provide ongoing guidance and support.
- Internal Communications (20%): Serve as one of several point-people for all internal communications, including facilitating weekly internal communications meetings, contributing to content for bi-monthly internal newsletter and executing content and distribution plans for internal communications, including sensitive information. Additionally, participate in quarterly calls with worldwide communications staff and relevant other staff to share information regarding marketing and communications activities and build team camaraderie.
- Materials and Policies (10%): Develop and update shared key communications resources within the organization to provide a consistent Room to Read narrative for use in presentations and proposals, bios, speeches, talking points, donor and marketing materials. Create and update, in coordination with our Legal, International Operations, Development and HR teams, policies, guidelines and legal agreements around issues such as our identity (logo), photography, social media, corporate partnership, crisis communications and other priorities to ensure that all efforts meet Room to Read’s high standards in the areas of accuracy, ethics, legality, and compliance. Additionally, examine their impact on solidifying and standardizing processes across the organization.
- Reputation Building through Conferences and Awards (15%): Identify and pursue award opportunities that strengthen Room to Read's reputation and support fundraising efforts. Additionally, coordinate with Global Business Development Team on an annual conference and speaking engagement audit to identify and secure on-stage opportunities for executive leadership, providing ongoing support to elevate our reputation and/or build donor pipeline.
- Public Relations (30%): Lead tactical efforts in relationship building with North America media, celebrity engagement and pro-bono advertising, based on strategy outlined by the Associate Director, PUBLIC RELATIONS & Corporate Communications. Support efforts in building media lists, identifying storylines, crafting pitches, and conducting outreach to North America media. Additional responsibilities include authoring/editing press releases distributed by Room to Read and its partners, drafting Q&A responses and talking points for executive staff and supporting media activities during executive leadership travel within North America.
- Special Projects & Sub-team Support (5%): Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with other teams including the executive team, HR, Programs, Grants & Publications, Global Business Development and Room to Read Accelerator to align and support external messaging. Support special projects and priorities which require corporate communications or internal communications guidance, as needed.
- Minimum of 3-5 years related work experience, ideally in corporate communications or public relations
- B.A. (degrees in one of the following preferred: Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, English or Literature)
- Articulate communicator with preferred experience in working with an executive team
- Excellent writing and communications skills, particularly around messaging, brand identity, media writing and internal communications
- Experience in public relations (in-house or agency) and media relations with proven track record of successful pitching
- Proven ability to execute tactical implementation of communication strategies to internal and external audiences
- Experience working closely with multimedia to tell a story (video, print, online, social media)
- Ability to think outside the box to find the unique story and contribute to story development with few resources
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, organized, meet deadlines, and ensure accuracy
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*