The Program Officer (PO) will contribute to all aspects of project implementation, backstopping quality, and client satisfaction on Internet Governance and Interenet Freedom project which includes global geographic scope. The Program Officer will support work located in Latin America, Euroasia, Africa and South East Asia. The Project supports civil society coalitions nationally, regionally and worldwide as they advocate for free and open inrternet and fight back against censorship, surveillance, and legal developments that threaten freedom of expression online. Expansion and/or change in the portfolio are possible during project implementation phases and are dependent on the in-country situational developments. The PO will be supervised by theSenior Program Officer (SPO), and will be working closely with project consultants contributing to the technical and administrative priorities for the program implementation, as well as supporting the development of new business as appropriate.
- Provides technical support to Counterpart’s program in the assigned countries: currently focused on civil society advocacy capacity-building around internet govenrnace and internet freedom issues. The PO in consultation with the SPO establishes programmatic targets, identifies best approaches for implementation of programs, and provides technical recommendations as appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains the relationships with the project local partners and grantees. Assists in identifying the needs and in creating networks.
- Provides administrative support to the assigned program, producing and processing various project related compliance and procurement paperwork including facilitation of the implantation of advocacy grants.
- Works closely with designated accountant and compliance team to provide timely support concerning program expenditures, burn rate and procurement policies.
- Contributes to the development and reviews of the program work plans, monitoring and evaluation plans and monitors their timely implementation; reviews and evaluates program reports (quarterly, anual, final and financial).
- Drafts scopes of work for consultants in consultation with the Senior Program Officer/Deputy Chief of Party/ Chief of Party/
- Liase with consultants as needed.
- Assist with preparation of program training, conference, and workshop content.
- Assist in travel and meeting planning, arranging logistics, financial recordkeeping, payment reconciliations.
- Assist with developing online content for program website including blogs and other multimedia content.
- Participates in project design and assists with the proposal writing and review process.
- Assists with development of proposal budgets.
- Represents Counterpart at conferences and other events.
- Organize program records such as key contacts, outreach meetings, program milestones, partner information, etc.
- Assists in project start-up and close out.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, information science and technology, development studies, and/or other related field. Master’s degree preferred or combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of previous work experience. Experience working on internet governance and internet freedom issues strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of internet freedom and internet governance global developments.
- Technical understanding of internet policies issues, particularly in relation to current affairs in internet governance and capacity to build strategies.
- Strong internet and computer software skills, including MS Office Suite programs, and web-based research tools, as well as ability to work in complex database environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural, multi lingual settings and strong inter-personal and negotiation skills.
- Robust multi-tasking skills and attention to detail under time-pressure and on short-deadlines.
- Fluency in English required.
- Ability to design, facilitate and conduct trainings on advocacy. Experience and track record in designing, facilitating, and conducting advocacy trainings.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*