The Research Assistant and Communications Coordinator in the John L. Thornton China Center (JLTCC) conducts research and provides administrative and communications support for a Senior Fellow on projects relating to China’s elite politics, decision-making and rule of law, China’s middle class, and China’s foreign policy. The individual is responsible for working closely with the Foreign Policy (FP) program’s Communications team in the development and execution of social media strategy and content management for the JLTCC website, including Chinese-language content.
Research Assistance (50%)
- Edits articles, monographs, and books for both substance and clarity of language.
- Conducts research on project issues; provides analysis of data and independent writing including drafts of narrative reports to funders; contributes to the writing of international case studies, policy briefs, and monographs.
- Assembles relevant material including press reports, interviews, government data, documents, reports, and seminars.
- Writes summary reports of forums, symposia, and conferences; drafts abstracts, summaries, and analyses of books and articles.
- Monitors and summarizes current developments relating to research projects.
- Reads primary and secondary sources for relevancy to research themes; compiles bibliographies and chronologies.
- Performs document retrieval using Internet and other online resources.
Coordination of JLTCC’s Online Presence and Impact (40%)
- Creates, updates and maintains all JLTCC pages within the content management system, including content, expert, event, and about pages under JLTCC in accordance with Brookings website standards and consistent with FP’s research and communications goals.
- Serves as the JLTCC liaison to the FP Communications team; works with FP Communications team to keep JLTCC staff apprised of new features and issues of concern as appropriate; coordinates with content creators in other programs.
- Coordinates with FP and central Communications staff to optimize web pages; monitors data on page performance and relays key learnings on audience behavior to the FP Communications team.
- Develops and manages digital communications strategy for JLTCC in coordination and consultation with FP Communications central Communications.
- In coordination with FP Communications staff and in accordance to Brookings policies, oversees day-to-day management of JLTCC Twitter feed including drafting and scheduling tweets, monitoring and measuring account activity, and live tweeting events.Serves as the JLTCC liaison to the Brookings Social Media Users Group by attending regular social media meetings; keeps center directors informed of new social features, trends and issues of concern; coordinates with other programs.
- Serves as the JLTCC liaison to the Brookings Social Media Users Group by attending regular social media meetings; keeps center directors informed of new social features, trends and issues of concern; coordinates with other programs.
- Works with research assistants, scholars, and project managers to present center content in a timely and effective manner.
Administrative Support (10%)
- Manages logistical arrangements for forums, seminars, and conferences.
- Schedules appointments, makes travel arrangements and coordinates reimbursements.
- Screens calls to determine purpose and nature of requests and where appropriate responds to inquiries.
- Copy edits and proofreads documents.
- Assists with general JLTCC administrative needs, as required, such as helping to maintain a database of relevant officials, experts, journalists, and regional actors.
A Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, journalism, or related area is required. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Minimum two years of relevant experience required. Must have experience with use of social media and other digital media platforms to promote content; experience developing, writing, editing, and publishing web content to meet outreach and impact goals and engage an active online audience; and experience with latest technology hardware, including mobile devices.
Demonstrated knowledge of Chinese politics and U.S.-China foreign policy is required. English fluency and a minimum of moderate proficiency in Mandarin Chinese are required. Knowledge of China’s politics, foreign policy, and economy is required; additional background and understanding of broader international affairs is preferred. Excellent skills as a writer and editor of academic text are required, and superior qualitative research skills are essential. Excellent organizational and communication skills are required, with the ability to prioritize in a heavy workload environment. Must be proficient in Internet research and use of database programs. Familiarity with content management systems such as WordPress. Working knowledge of web analytics tools such as Google Analytics, preferable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*