Global Fund for Women envisions a world where every woman and girl is strong safe, powerful, and heard. No exceptions. We are a global champion for the rights of women and girls, using grantmaking and advocacy to propel global movements for women’s rights. As a public foundation, we rely on the generous support of thousands of donors each year to support our mission and to help us achieve our organizational goals. This position plays an important role in supporting our strategic plan goal of diversifying and growing our funding.
We seek an organized, driven, and resourceful Development Writer for a one-year term, with the possibility of extension, to contribute to the organization’s goal of securing $25 million by 2020. S/he will contribute to this goal by bringing excellent writing skills to create proposals, reports, and other written materials for current and prospective donors and solid research skills to help expand our pipeline of prospective donors. The Development Writer reports to the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, is part of the Development team, and will work closely with the Senior Grant Writing Manager and the Grant Writing Manager to ensure that all donor reports and proposals are of the highest quality and meet donor intent and need.
Please note: This is a one-year term-limited position with a possible option to extend.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Grant Writing (~65%)
- Work closely with fundraisers in writing for a wide range of current and prospective donors assigned to this position’s portfolio, including individuals, foundations, corporations, and government. Written materials include, but are not limited to, letters of intent, concept notes, proposals, major donor mass solicitations, and reports.
- Manage the entire process for creating writing deliverables in this position’s portfolio, including developing timelines, assigning tasks, facilitating cross-team discussions, and liaising as needed with relevant staff responsible for grants operations, evaluation, finance, and programs to ensure writing deliverables satisfy donor intent and needs.
- Carry out thorough and extensive research on prospective institutional and individual donors, in close coordination with fundraisers.
- Develop and manage a process for ensuring donor prospect information is most relevant and usable for fundraisers.
- Support the overall functioning of the writing team by performing administrative tasks such as scheduling relevant meetings, notifying teams of upcoming writing deadlines, and sharing recently written materials with fundraisers for potential further leveraging.
Internal: This position reports to the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships and is a member of the Development team working closely with the Senior Grant Writing Manager, Grant Writing Manager, fundraisers, as well as all other teams within the organization.
External : The Development Writer represents the Global Fund for Women to donors and external consultants through written material and by attending organizational events when expected.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and project management skills.
- A commitment to international women’s rights and a strong desire to support global women’s rights movements, women’s initiatives, and the mission of the Global Fund for Women.
- An understanding of, and/or demonstrated interest in, global women’s rights issues, including the Global Fund for Women’s core program themes and regional context.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across teams.
- Ability to successfully manage a large volume of work, meet multiple deadlines, and responds with flexibility to unanticipated requests.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong computer knowledge with Microsoft Office and relational databases.
- At least two years of experience in grant-writing positions.
- Skill with Salesforce, or other fundraising databases or CRMs
- Fluency in a language in addition to English.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS in the social sciences, with expertise in international relations and/or women’s studies preferred; MA/MS preferred.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*