The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) National Program & Outreach Department seeks to energize foreign policy discussions nationwide by connecting with communities in a cross-section of American life, including educators and students, congregational and civic leaders, and representatives of faith-based organizations. The deputy director will promote CFR Campus, an initiative that helps educators, students, and the interested public gain the knowledge, skills, and perspectives necessary to thrive in an increasingly interconnected world. The marketing of free CFR Campus resources including Model Diplomacy, a multimedia simulation program, and a forthcoming set of learning materials on the fundamentals of international relations and U.S. foreign policy will be of particular focus.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborate with the Outreach team to develop a strategy and implementation plan for the marketing of CFR educational resources in conjunction, where appropriate, with Outreach programming and supporting resources from CFR, for approval by the Education and Executive departments.
- Devise ways to increase and standardize the collection of feedback from instructors and students and provide this feedback to the Education Department to effectively refine products, as needed.
- Strategically test placements of Model Diplomacy, CFR Campus, and World101 print and digital advertising in collaboration with Digital Development’s design and analytics staff.
- Identify marketing and distribution channels for CFR’s educational products that will engage college administrators and professors, employers, lifelong learners, and other audiences through partnership, network development, social media and other nontraditional campaigns.
- Collect feedback to improve the user experience of Model Diplomacy and to generate new promotional ideas in preparation for marketing to and initiating partnerships; oversee customer support for Education products.
- Report on registration and usage data of Model Diplomacy, World 101, and other forthcoming Education products in both narrative and visual representative forms such as charts, tables, and graphs.
- Develop web content for sections relating to educational resources on the CFR Campus website and use the CMS to upload it.
- Travel to conferences and meetings to deepen existing relationships and connect with new constituencies; and track marketing contacts in the CRM.
- Participate fully in department activities including attending interdepartmental, departmental, and team meetings, contributing to deliberations, and providing progress reports.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in marketing or publishing; experience in marketing educational products and services to colleges strongly preferred
- Experience working with a diverse array of educators, students, and related constituencies.
- Excellent telephone and in-person communication skills and desire to act as point person for user questions and problem-solving.
- Superior organizational and prioritization skills with an ability to multi-task and meet competing deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- BA in international relations, education, or related field with high academic achievement and an interest in U.S. and world leaders and current foreign policy issues.
- Detail oriented with strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Strong MS Word, Excel proficiency using pivot tables and VLOOKUP, CRM, data entry, and research skills; experience with Adobe Creative Suite, CMS, Hootsuite, and Camtasia preferred.
- Curriculum development and instructional experience preferred.