The Coordination Division at UN Women Headquarters in New York seeks to enlist a full-time intern to support the work of the Division. The intern will assist amongst others with research, data analysis, writing and administration related to the status of women in the UN System.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Senior Adviser and Focal Point for Women in the UN System, the intern will support the Focal Point’s efforts to improve the gender balance in the United Nations system.
Activities will include:
- Provide substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for policy-making organs, as appropriate;
- Work with UN agencies to monitor and evaluate progress towards gender balance;
- Research and prepare briefs on current trends and good practice related to the equal participation of women in the workforce, and in particular decision-making positions;
- Prepare analytical advocacy materials to assist with the implementation of the mandate;
- Provide support to the Senior Adviser and Focal Point for Women in the UN System, as requested;
- Familiarity and interest with issues related to international relations and equal representation of women and gender mainstreaming within the UN system;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing (in English), in a clear and concise manner;
- Self-starter and team player with a high sense of responsibility in order to balance multiple responsibilities and accomplish given duties on time;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with colleagues of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to translate complex statistical analysis into clear and concise narrative, with impactful graphic presentations of data.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in international relations, international development, gender studies, communications and/or political science;
- Preference will be given to candidates recently granted, or in the process of pursuing, a Master’s or advanced university degree programme.
- Prior UN experience is preferred - at a minimum candidate should possess an understanding of the entities of the UN system, the UN’s governance, policies and mandates;
- Experience with developing and designing communications products and/or strategies desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, particularly Microsoft Excel;
- Proficiency with online communication, including Skype, Cisco Webex, etc.
- Fluency in English is required.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*