Radio Free Asia is seeking an accomplished leader with sound editorial judgment and integrity for the position of Vietnamese Service Director in its Washington, DC, offices.
Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a Washington, DC-based nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. RFA is currently seeking as its Vietnamese Service Director an individual who possesses a deep commitment to unbiased, high-quality journalism and a thorough knowledge of Vietnam, as well as astute skills in managing personnel.
Leading by example, this individual will motivate and inspire journalists in gathering news under extremely challenging circumstances. The ideal candidate must have good contacts inside and outside of Vietnam in order to ensure the service can deliver current information and understanding of Vietnam’s political, economic, sociological and environmental developments. Creativity in reaching our audience inside the severely restricted news environment of Vietnam is a must.
- Planning, directing, and supervising daily operations of the Service, including the development of all Vietnamese multimedia news content for broadcast, online, and social media.
- Providing strong editorial leadership and managerial guidance to the staff in Washington and to contract stringers overseas.
- Monitoring and maintaining quality control of broadcasts and new media offerings made by the staff and contractors.
- Directing the preparation of original scripts on news, current events, features, and other topics of particular interest to the target audience.
- Leading the Vietnamese Service’s social media efforts to better engage with audiences.
- Establishing and maintaining contact with Vietnamese specialists in and sources in and outside of Vietnam to enhance program content and stay abreast of political, cultural, and economic developments.
- Handling Vietnamese Service administrative, personnel, and staffing matters.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university (degree in journalism or related field preferred).
- Minimum ten years' working experience in journalism or related field (or equivalent combination of experience and graduate studies in journalism or related field), with four or more years' experience in a supervisory capacity preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written Vietnamese, and professional level of English proficiency.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current political, economic, and social conditions in Vietnam.
- Strong editing skills and demonstrated ability to exercise unbiased, timely, and principled news analysis and judgment.
- Demonstrated managerial and problem-solving skills.
Submit résumé with cover letter with subject line “Service Director, Vietnamese Service" via email.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*