The WASH Technical Specialist will provide technical oversight for the implementation of RI’s WASH programming across refugee settlements and host communities in Cox’s Bazar, acting as the central point for coordination, planning, delivery and monitoring. This role requires excellent liaison and coordination with sectoral program managers (Health, Protection), field staff and partners. The WASH Technical Specialist will represent, share information and advocate for Relief International at donor and inter-agency meetings in Cox’s Bazar and also at national level, when required.
Position duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership to RI’s WASH program in Cox’s Bazar in accordance with best practice and RI policy;
- Ensure that technical quality and standards are considered and adhered to during project implementation: collect technical information and analyze associated opportunities and risks; identify relevant technical authorities and partners; and propose formal partnership and/or contracts;
- Undertake quality control: analyze technical added-value and project impact; set up technical evaluation exercises during and following implementation;
- Represent RI in external WASH forums and is the key WASH focal point in the relevant sectors and technical working groups at field level.
- Review and evaluate programs to assist in enhancing program delivery and quality;
- Based on assessments and strategy, draft technical proposals and budgets to meet the immediate needs of the affected communities;
- Lead, or contributes to, development of country sector strategic direction and plans;
- Contribute to integrated multi-sectoral programming along with protection and health counterparts;
- In close coordination with the Team Leader, maintain effective communications with donors by tracking trends and anticipating the likelihood of funding opportunities;
- Support Team Leader in securing new funding opportunities for WASH programs, including technical input and proposal and budget development;
- Establish and consolidate relationships with partners, including national and international NGOs, UN/cluster partners, donors and relevant government representatives for improved project implementation;
- Lead on WASH-related policy and advocacy issues, in coordination with the Team Leader, maintaining timely and accurate information on humanitarian issues such as access, inclusion, etc.;
- Ensure lessons learned and best practices are documented and disseminated across RI Bangladesh, and where relevant, RI Global;
- Any other duties as required by the Team Leader or Country Director.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, hydrology, public health or relevant water/sanitation specializations; Master’s level education preferred;
- At least 5 years professional experience in design and implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene projects in emergency or development contexts;
- Experience living overseas and ability to adapt and work comfortably in culturally unfamiliar environments;
- Strong verbal and written skills as well as ability to multi-task effectively;
- Experience working in a complex humanitarian context;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, particularly when dealing with national staff and multi-cultural teams;
- Solid programmatic, financial, and organizational planning skill;
- Excellent oral communication skills and writing ability in English;
- Familiarity with key international standards for humanitarian work (e.g. SPHERE, HAP Principles);
- Experience managing humanitarian and health systems strengthening programs;
- Experience managing multi-donor-funded programs, i.e. USAID, ECHO, DFID, UN;
- Previous experience in South/Southeast Asia is an advantage.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*